~6 months old GENDER/breed guesses please

jk9chicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
There are two chickens here, that I would like help identifying.
I am posting for a friend...
We are looking for gender guesses mostly,
but breed too, if you have a guess.

has a rose? comb

This one has white/pink legs and a longer neck than the others.

thanks for looking, guesses are appreciated!

Check the feathers at the base of the neck and the feathers before the tail (saddle feathers). If they are pointy its a roo if they r round it is a hen. #1 looks like mine rir cross with leghorn. #2 I don't know.

I see three mixed breed roosters in these pictures. The mostly white one with the modified rose comb, the white bird with red wings, and the younger reddish bird.

Both roosters, first maybe a Colombian Wyandotte X, second maybe a Buff Orpington X

I would say all roosters
thank you!!! that is what I thought....
I see three mixed breed roosters in these pictures. The mostly white one with the modified rose comb, the white bird with red wings, and the younger reddish bird.
Both roos. You can see long saddle feathers on #2. Not sure on the breed.
thank you!!! that is what I was thinking, but I am a novice.
I think they're roosters. I don't know their breeds, sorry.
thanks for guessing!!!
Check the feathers at the base of the neck and the feathers before the tail (saddle feathers). If they are pointy its a roo if they r round it is a hen. #1 looks like mine rir cross with leghorn. #2 I don't know.
yes, the neck feathers on #1 are narrow and look just like the known to be red star roo (the one white with red on wings)....so just to clarify....the neck feathers...it's not possibly because it's an older bird, those neck feathers always indicate a rooster right?
Oh, and the all red one...is so lankey, do you think it's the breed? or just not a good quality? Or is it possibly a mix with meat/broiler bird?

Thank you all for your input!!!

The other chickens (5 hens and a roo) used to be mine and we were visiting
love.gif

They are doing great!

But, the new owners would like more hens...and thought they were getting two 6 month old hens.
They don't crow....but I'm assuming they simply haven't felt the need to yet?
Maybe the environment they came from had older, more dominant males???
And they are the newbies in the flock, so even if they are older, they are most likely lower on the pecking order?

SO, pretty much no chance these are hens???

No chance on hens, sorry.

Technically both genders have hackle and saddle feathers. On hens they just look like all the other feathers, nice and rounded and soft. At around 3 months, roosters' hackle and saddle feathers start making them pretty--long, pointy, flowing, and sometimes different colors. Those pretty feathers and colors are what's supposed to make them attractive to the ladies, plus the larger, redder comb indicates fertility and health.

They should take the new roosters back unless they're inclined to eat them. 3 roosters and 5 hens are going to make for one miserable flock.

No chance on hens, sorry.

Technically both genders have hackle and saddle feathers. On hens they just look like all the other feathers, nice and rounded and soft. At around 3 months, roosters' hackle and saddle feathers start making them pretty--long, pointy, flowing, and sometimes different colors. Those pretty feathers and colors are what's supposed to make them attractive to the ladies, plus the larger, redder comb indicates fertility and health.

They should take the new roosters back unless they're inclined to eat them. 3 roosters and 5 hens are going to make for one miserable flock.
Yeah...that's what I thought... so....

Question: hens NEVER have pointy feathers?
Is it possible, at all, for mixed breed hens to have pointy hackle and/or saddle feathers?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom