6 months old - on layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BLaBauve, Nov 8, 2009.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I have 2 BLRW's and 1 RIR that are over 6 months old and have never layed. I started them on layer feed about a month ago - hoping that they would start laying. I don't know if they will lay this year now that winter is coming. Can they stay on layer feed even when not laying? Are there other options I should be considering?

Thanks!

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    They'll lay when they get ready. They are old enough to stay on layer pellets. My buckeyes are almost 8 months old and some have just started laying, and the others aren't laying yet.

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Give your hens time. Some people say that Layena (layer food) will make hens lay. I disagree. Layena (layer food) makes the eggshell stronger and some other things.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Laying feed does not make them lay; it merely gives them the nutrition they need when they are laying. Maxx is correct.

5. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I would be thrilled if the started to lay in the GA mild fall/winter. But friends have told me not to count on it until it warms up again. I hope they're wrong! I will keep them on the layer feed as you suggested. Thanks.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think they will probably lay before spring. I have a 23 week old BR pullet who is just now investigating the nestboxes. I'm sure she will lay in the next couple of weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by