6 mth old Brahma self isolating

chic-mama

Hatching
May 30, 2020
We have a 6 month old Brahma who has been separating from the flock in the coop and sleeping on the nesting area rather than roosting as usual. I have not noticed any of the chickens pecking at her, and she is usually in middle of the pecking order. She has some short feathers on her lower back (see photo) where there is a small amount of bleeding. She is also losing feathers around her vent area. There is a small amount of blood near one of the feathers at her leg. She has been acting aloof, and resting with her eyes half closed. Any suggestions? Is this molting at such a young age? Any other thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3686.jpeg
    IMG_3686.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 13
We have a 6 month old Brahma who has been separating from the flock in the coop and sleeping on the nesting area rather than roosting as usual. I have not noticed any of the chickens pecking at her, and she is usually in middle of the pecking order. She has some short feathers on her lower back (see photo) where there is a small amount of bleeding. She is also losing feathers around her vent area. There is a small amount of blood near one of the feathers at her leg. She has been acting aloof, and resting with her eyes half closed. Any suggestions? Is this molting at such a young age? Any other thoughts?
Welcome To BYC!

Do you have a cockerel or rooster too?
How much space do you have? (sq ft of coop and run)
Can you get some photos of all of her and her poop?

I see one slight area of bruising (the green). Looks like she's had some feathers plucked and I also see new feathers coming in. Feather loss around the vent sounds like feather picking too. Hard to know about the one on the foot - could be from a broken feather.

With her separating herself, she may be getting picked at - observe the flock for this behavior, even at roosting time.
I wouldn't say she's molting - some birds are slow to mature, she may still be feathering out.
If she's off today, I would give her a direct dose poultry vitamins, watch to see if she's eating well. (what do you feed?) and take time to see how the others are acting around her.

1603630145509.png

I would spend some time with the chickens inside and outside your coop if possible to find out if she is bullied or picked on, or kept from eating and drinking. In rare cases, a reproductive or other organ problem might be causing sickness. I would take her aside daily and feed her some cooked egg, wet chicken feed, plain yogurt 1 TB) and canned cat food and tuna or good alternative. Just make sure that she has the opportunity to get her share of food. Make sure there are multiple waterers and feeders. If possible, take in some fresh droppings for a fecal float to look for worms or coccidiosis.

Thanks for your reply. We have about 70 sq feet of run for 8 chickens and 12.5 sq feet in the coop, not including 6 nesting boxes. Since yesterday, she still won't roost and she has a new area of bleeding and less feathers on her lower back/vent area and off by herself with a somewhat pale waddle and half closed eyes. I separated her from the flock today and gave her nourishing food and water. I did observe one of the more mellow chickens pecking at her. Here is another photo of her social distancing from her flock...

Attachments

• IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    863 KB · Views: 5
Can you get some fresh droppings checked by your vet for worms and coccidiosis? It could be something more serious, but other chickens seem to sense weakness or illness in flock members. As long as she is eating and drinking well, I wouldn’t worry too much. Check her crop to make sure that it is emptying overnight. Look at her skin for any mites or lice.

Thanks for your reply. We have about 70 sq feet of run for 8 chickens and 12.5 sq feet in the coop, not including 6 nesting boxes. Since yesterday, she still won't roost and she has a new area of bleeding and less feathers on her lower back/vent area and off by herself with a somewhat pale waddle and half closed eyes. I separated her from the flock today and gave her nourishing food and water. I did observe one of the more mellow chickens pecking at her. Here is another photo of her social distancing from her flock...
Can you get some photos of your coop/run?
70sq ft is a little tight, but I'm trying to wrap my head around 12.5sq ft coop.

Space sounds like it's at a premium, sometimes this will lead to picking at one another.
She may be being kept from food as well.
Is there a way you can give them more space and add another feeder too?

Thank you for your advice. It's been over a week, and now we've observed 3 of our 8 chickens pecking at our poor Brahma. She has lost more feathers, is now limping, and just sits nearby. We now have her in a separate cage within the run so she can mend without getting attacked. Hoping we can save her. Any other suggestions?

Your birds should have at a minimum, 32 square feet in their coop. Pecking or cannibalism, can happen with overcrowding, too little protein in the diet, boredom from not getting out to free range, too much light in laying areas, and in some breeds. Once pecking occurs, it can be a learned behavior that spreads. I would try to get her healed, and find the reasons they are pecking her. Some chickens may notice a weakness or illness and peck. Sometimes separating or getting rid of a bully has to happen. Spending time with them will be enlightening as to what is going on.

Thank you for your advice. It's been over a week, and now we've observed 3 of our 8 chickens pecking at our poor Brahma. She has lost more feathers, is now limping, and just sits nearby. We now have her in a separate cage within the run so she can mend without getting attacked. Hoping we can save her. Any other suggestions?
Can you post some more photos of her and her poop?
Does she lay eggs?

With them picking at her it's good that you separated her out.
It can be very hard to know why she was declining to begin with.
I would encourage her to eat/drink. Look her over for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying and see how it goes.

Please do consider the space you have and determine if you need more room and if this may be a contributing factor for her being picked at.

Back
Top Bottom