6 week Black Tail White Japanese Bantam... is she a roo?

Here's what my beautiful boy looks like now. He's about 3.5 months old and just as proud of himself as can be. He has already defended his flock against a small hawk (not sure the hawk could have taken any of the girls, but he was there screaming at it!) and has just started trying to mate. Its funny because he's such a tiny thing with really short legs, and trying to mount a full size hen is hysterical. But you all were correct, definitely a boy

Attachments

• thestrel 3months.jpg
    thestrel 3months.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
I have the same exact question. I have a black-tailed white chick that is 6-7 weeks and has the same prominent comb. The feathering and body shape aren’t screaming cockerel to me. I’m not familiar with this breed, and was wondering if the females’ combs just tend to grow fast. I’m not going to compare her/him with a completely different breed of chicken...
I look at pictures of Japanese bantam hens and they look like mine...View attachment 2122124View attachment 2122127
I was surprised how quickly he got his sickle feathers, much earlier than my Old English bantam. You should start seeing that feathering soon if not already. Pretty much went from me seeing that larger comb, to full on tiny rooster. But so far, he's a very quiet little guy, his crow is very soft.

Back
Top Bottom