6 week old Australorp and Black Java chicks...Roo?

JanetSmithery

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Eugene, OR
I've got an Australorp and a Black Java that I think are roosters. The Java's about 7 weeks old, the Australorp about 6.

Here's the Java in question:
57140_100_3548.jpg

Here's a head shot of the Australorp:
57140_100_3552.jpg

And here's a group shot of my Australorp and my two Javas. The Australorp is on the far left. My runting Java (argh! same age as the potential roo and half the size and development!) is just to it's right, and the Java in question is just below it.
57140_100_3562.jpg

Any chance either of these is a pullet? Thank you for helping!

I think your Australorp is a pullet. My boys have more developed and pinker combs by six weeks. Also feathering is looking more pullet like from what I can see in your photo.

Here is my BA at only 4 - 5 weeks old. Definitely a cockerel. You can see the well developed comb and the sides where his whatchamacallits are already visible. So I'd say pullet.

62853_heshechix.jpg

smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help, everyone! The pictures were an incredible help. I'm in the process of rehoming my Javas.

I contacted the breeder to ask about my little runting one and whether it was due to her bout with cocci earlier. The breeder says that she thinks she has a genetic heart condition that has physiologically manifested in her last two years, and the birds with it often stunt. She's offered to take back the stunted Java and the roo, and I think I'm going to take her up on it. She'll keep the li'l girl around for petite eggs, and she'll give the roo lavish accommodations and love before he's processed. It's probably more than I could ask for either of them anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom