6 week old chick,hatched from a blue egg

Welcome!
I think it's an Easter Egger cockerel, if the comb color in those first pictures is accurate. it's a very red comb for six weeks of age, and too soon to say how his behaviors will develop.
You have other chickens out there? Having him raised by adult hens will be good! I like cockerels who aren't so 'friendly', as in 'bold', because I want them to be involved with the other chickens, not with me.
He is cute!
Mary

Mauve Ameraucana cockerel. Looks just like my boy Tortoise did at that age. In this pic he was having a supervised outing during his recovery from wry neck. Due to his disability he got LOTS of handling at that age, then reintroduced with 4 cockerels and 15 pullets his age. At almost 5 months he is no differently behaved than the others.

Attachments

• 20220604_141033_HDR.jpg
    20220604_141033_HDR.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 3
Welcome!
I think it's an Easter Egger cockerel, if the comb color in those first pictures is accurate. it's a very red comb for six weeks of age, and too soon to say how his behaviors will develop.
You have other chickens out there? Having him raised by adult hens will be good! I like cockerels who aren't so 'friendly', as in 'bold', because I want them to be involved with the other chickens, not with me.
He is cute!
Mary
Yeah I have 2 just don’t want a rooster that will attack me every time I enter the hatch

Mauve Ameraucana cockerel. Looks just like my boy Tortoise did at that age. In this pic he was having a supervised outing during his recovery from wry neck. Due to his disability he got LOTS of handling at that age, then reintroduced with 4 cockerels and 15 pullets his age. At almost 5 months he is no differently behaved than the others.
Is he friendly as I have a 8 year old son,he looks so cute..I have 2 other chickens that he can go with ☺️

Is he friendly as I have a 8 year old son,he looks so cute..I have 2 other chickens that he can go with ☺️
Both of my Ameraucana cockerels are super friendly. Sweetest temperaments of the 5 cockerels. Great with my 3 and 5 year old kids. They are stunningly beautiful birds too.

I would definitely keep him, but it is important that he be integrated with the other chickens as soon as possible so he learns chicken manners. It is not generally recommended that you introduce a single bird into a flock, especially one that is smaller than the rest, so keep a VERY close eye on him to ensure he is not over bullied. I had a cockerel get a broken wish bone last year (which I discovered when we ate him). He was introduced with a pullet and 5 other cockerels but had been excessively bullied to the point that he preferred standing outside alone at -30f instead of staying in the coop with the others, resulting in a frostbitten comb.

Back
Top Bottom