6 Week Old Duckling Died

Kwebber28

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2021
Went out to our coop this morning and found our 6 week old Pekin dead. No symptoms and no trauma. He was fine when he went to bed. Yesterday morning when we let them out our 6 week old Swed wouldn’t walk. We thought he hurt his foot or maybe Niacin so we added niacin to the water. There were 7 ducklings all the same age houses together. Should we be concerned for the rest of our ducklings?

5A8AA28F-DA11-44CC-AC6D-135AB6393264.jpeg

I am so sorry for your loss. Is there any way there is any poisons they could have gotten into such as treated grass or something else. It is strange that this has happened. I hope someone else on here might have an answer for you. Good Luck and again so sorry you lost this little one.

I am so sorry for your loss. Is there any way there is any poisons they could have gotten into such as treated grass or something else. It is strange that this has happened. I hope someone else on here might have an answer for you. Good Luck and again so sorry you lost this little one.
I don’t think so but I mean it is possible. We have over 50 birds in total. 20 ducks and 25 chickens. I have never had this happen. When my hubby gets home I am going to get him to thoroughly check him and the coop for signs of anything getting in. I am devastated and can’t bring myself to move him. These are my babies 😥

I don’t think so but I mean it is possible. We have over 50 birds in total. 20 ducks and 25 chickens. I have never had this happen. When my hubby gets home I am going to get him to thoroughly check him and the coop for signs of anything getting in. I am devastated and can’t bring myself to move him. These are my babies 😥
It's so hard when they become our pets. Some people can't understand why I love ducks but I do and to me they are as important as my dogs. I have three babies thriving in my living room as I write this. Ducks in the house people say???? I say why not!! They are kept clean and no smell. I am so sorry this has happened to you and I feel for you. I pray you can figure out what happened to your feathered friend.

I
It's so hard when they become our pets. Some people can't understand why I love ducks but I do and to me they are as important as my dogs. I have three babies thriving in my living room as I write this. Ducks in the house people say???? I say why not!! They are kept clean and no smell. I am so sorry this has happened to you and I feel for you. I pray you can figure out what happened to your feathered friend.
It is true. I love my ducks just like my dogs. I wanted to move them into the big coop with my larger flock but I am worried if they are sick.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I understand how precious they are and how hard it is to lose them.

Unfortunately, sudden death in birds isn't unheard of. Birds often hide their symptoms until next to the end when they pass.

Even with symptoms the way to know the cause of death is with a necropsy. I use my avian veterinarian for post mortem exams on my very loved ducks. I believe most members use their state vet lab, as it is usually less expensive. If you are interested in going that direction you can immediately put a body in the refrigerator while you sort out details. Decomposition makes the exam less conclusive.

Back
Top Bottom