6 week old Golden laced polish hen or roo?

Bubblesls22

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2019
6 weeks old do you think these are hens or roo's?
20230612_165905.jpg
20230612_165913.jpg

Based on an earlier thread where basty mentioned the concentrated black and overall plumage difference I’m going to guess cockerel on top and pullet on bottom.

Based on an earlier thread where basty mentioned the concentrated black and overall plumage difference I’m going to guess cockerel on top and pullet on bottom.
You have nailed it. Gold laced are easy with this method. Sometimes pullets will have pronounced saddle feathers as well at around 12 to 15 weeks which can be decieving, but these two pictures are a great example of the difference.

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with newbs like myself.
I've posted this pic before, but it is a good one for showing this. She appears to have cockerel saddle feathers and even a cockerel head piece, but she very much lays eggs. But there is no extra black at the base of the neck and/or at the base of the tail (aside from her saddles) She is about 7 months old or so here.

Attachments

• 128890BF-A6FC-4EC1-8D78-59039C5B9A98.jpeg
    128890BF-A6FC-4EC1-8D78-59039C5B9A98.jpeg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 10
I've posted this pic before, but it is a good one for showing this. She appears to have cockerel saddle feathers and even a cockerel head piece, but she very much lays eggs. But there is no extra black at the base of the neck and/or at the base of the tail (aside from her saddles) She is about 7 months old or so here.
Yea she’s a tricky one. I love how I’ve learned all these tips and tricks for chicken sexing and then when sexing polish all rules go out the window 😄.

Back
Top Bottom