6 week old roos and pullets in same coop, okay?

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
They all should be going out to the coop by Saturday, so I need to know, do we have to seperate the roos from the pullets until someone comes and takes them (the roos)?? They are 6 weeks old.

Our roosters have been listed on Craig's List and a local on-line want ad and basically I offered all the roos at $5.00 each (there are 4-6 now) and the price is negotiable. Or instead of purchasing said roos, I will consider a trade of ALL roos for 3-4 same age pullets.

How does that sound?? My birds seem to be really healthy so I am worried if someone wanted to do the trade, I might get sick pullets or they might bring something to my girls.

I have also put out 2 e-mails to our homeschool friends so I hope we can find homes for them soon.

My roos have grown up with the hens they started out in the brooder with, from day one.

I wouldn't bring in any new birds without a quarantine period, no matter how good the other persons set-up might look or seem to be.

Quote:
I was thinking if there was to be a trade, I would keep the new pullets in the house in the brooder for a week or so, just until I know for sure that they are okay. But I would not be too sure of what to look for if they were sick??? And then at some point they would have to go out to the coop, how would I do that, just put them in the run and hope for the best.

Quote:
I was thinking if there was to be a trade, I would keep the new pullets in the house in the brooder for a week or so, just until I know for sure that they are okay. But I would not be too sure of what to look for if they were sick??? And then at some point they would have to go out to the coop, how would I do that, just put them in the run and hope for the best.

Nope, they would have to be introduced by being seperate but where they could see the others, like through a wire divider. I've done it the other way - just tossed em together and hoped for the best - but there's a better than even chance there will be problems that way.

Quote:

Nope, they would have to be introduced by being seperate but where they could see the others, like through a wire divider. I've done it the other way - just tossed em together and hoped for the best - but there's a better than even chance there will be problems that way.

So maybe if I kept the potential "new" girls inside in the brooder at night and then let them out in the run during the day (with some kind of screen between them and my girls) that would be okay?? I am not sure of what else I could do. Our coop will be 4'x6' and the run is 4'x8' (and the coop is open underneath as well). The only thing is, if it got hot outside or rained the new girls wouldn't have a place to go??

Back
Top Bottom