6 week old white leghorns

thenewchickfarm

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2018
I am really wondering if too much reading is a bad thing... We wanted to start sexing our chicks and separate them. Out of 11 chicks 6 have real nice red combs (1 comb is still slightly pink) with red waddles and 5 don't have red combs more of the pea comb and no waddle yet. At least 2 were crowing this morning. I will attempt to get some pictures posted and hopefully someone can help us out. I know the best way seems to be by the feathers but still lost. Also, what is the worst thing that can happen if hens are eating meat feed (22% protein)?

They won't show male specific sex feathering until much older. The things to look at when they're 6 weeks old are combs and wattles-- size and color. Some males make it obvious with big red combs and wattles from an early age, and some don't. You can post pics in here, but maybe wait a couple more weeks for better accuracy.

What type of feed is the 22% meat feed? Is it for chickens? If so, it should be fine. You can add some greens or a little (not much) scratch to their diet if you're concerned about cost or too much protein.

IMG_20180618_0830335.jpg
IMG_20180618_0829467.jpg

Some are getting spurs, but understand even the hens get them

Attachments

• IMG_20180618_0830210.jpg
    IMG_20180618_0830210.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 127
Yes, the three with big combs in the first picture and the 1 in the second picture are all males, the other two in the first picture are pullet. The third picture is a cockerel as well.

My leghorn hens got small spurs. The biggest tell on the leghorns, besides the comb is the leg thickness. The males legs get thick really quickly. My leghorn and leghorn cross hens have TINY legs that are about as thick as my pinky finger.

I see three definite cockerels in the first picture, and one in the second. Leghorns to develop fast and even females have big combs, so don't assume the ones with a little red in the combs are males. But those 4 that I pointed out are obvious males.

Thank you so much for the fast reply.. Basically we are assuming so far that all the big combed ones are roosters. So far it seems as you agree. Most of the suspected ones are getting spurs, but even the suspected hens look as they may be getting some. Have read that even hens can get them. By looking at the feathers we just keep getting confused as even some of the ones with "pea" combs look as they could be rooster. Maybe we just overthink some of this, lol. Going to take pic of the food bags here shortly, and THANKS AGAIN for the help!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom