6 week old white leghorns

Thank you so much for the fast reply.. Basically we are assuming so far that all the big combed ones are roosters. So far it seems as you agree. Most of the suspected ones are getting spurs, but even the suspected hens look as they may be getting some. Have read that even hens can get them. By looking at the feathers we just keep getting confused as even some of the ones with "pea" combs look as they could be rooster. Maybe we just overthink some of this, lol. Going to take pic of the food bags here shortly, and THANKS AGAIN for the help!!!!!
It sounds like you have leghorn crosses rather than Leghorns. Leghorns all have single combs. The slight black feathering in the roo in the second picture is an indication that you have mixed birds.

I am really wondering if too much reading is a bad thing... We wanted to start sexing our chicks and separate them. Out of 11 chicks 6 have real nice red combs (1 comb is still slightly pink) with red waddles and 5 don't have red combs more of the pea comb and no waddle yet. At least 2 were crowing this morning. I will attempt to get some pictures posted and hopefully someone can help us out. I know the best way seems to be by the feathers but still lost. Also, what is the worst thing that can happen if hens are eating meat feed (22% protein)?

How old are your chicks? I have leghorn/polish mixed chicks that are 4 weeks old and would like to compare.....Thanks!

Here is the 2 different types of food. Last night we separated all the suspected roosters but 1 as going to keep him with the hens. Had intentions as giving the extra roosters the 22% meat feed and continue the hens and 1 rooster the chick feed until I think 16 weeks. Not looking to sex the others in pics, just thought id share our newest chicks to the flock.

Attachments

• IMG_20180618_1018596.jpg
    IMG_20180618_1018596.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180618_1019059.jpg
    IMG_20180618_1019059.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20180618_1018247.jpg
    IMG_20180618_1018247.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 16
It sounds like you have leghorn crosses rather than Leghorns. Leghorns all have single combs. The slight black feathering in the roo in the second picture is an indication that you have mixed birds.

Very possible, My wife works for the school district and they hatch eggs every year and this year we ended up keeping them. The eggs were given to her by the farm bureau. She was told they would be a mix of half broilers and have layers. She got all the white leghorn. Basically just telling the story that we really don't know much about them except what the farm bureau told her. Thanks

I think the black is just dirt or poop. They were all in the little coop and have always crowded the top roost. Now a couple have to go to other roost and apparently went to one directly in the drop zone. Couple had some runny poo, maybe to many grapes. They love them though.

Back
Top Bottom