6 week old white leghorns

Those two are also cockerels. You seem to know what you're doing, so you likely already know which are the obvious cockerels.

Are you going off the comb and waddle or feathering. Just curious.. I know the big combed ones are not as friendly. Here is one that I think is hen. She is very nice
Screenshot_20180618-105510.png

Are you going off the comb and waddle or feathering. Just curious.. I know the big combed ones are not as friendly. Here is one that I think is hen. She is very nice
View attachment 1435147
Yes, that looks like a pullet.

I am only going by combs and wattles-- their size, and their color. Males don't get their special plumage, the pointed hackle, saddle, and sickle feathers, until much later, so you can't go by that at 6 weeks.

Yes, that looks like a pullet.

I am only going by combs and wattles-- their size, and their color. Males don't get their special plumage, the pointed hackle, saddle, and sickle feathers, until much later, so you can't go by that at 6 weeks.

Are you thinking they have more of the red ears or white? As they are young I am wondering if they just haven't filled in yet.

And Thank you Thank you Thank you

Are you thinking they have more of the red ears or white? As they are young I am wondering if they just haven't filled in yet.

And Thank you Thank you Thank you
You are very welcome. I can't really see the earlobes too well in the photos, to be honest, but the white lobes sometimes don't become very obvious until later on, especially on white birds. You could take close-up pictures if you want.

What the earlobe thing does is tell you a bit more about the breed. Leghorns should have white earlobes, but in many cases, Leghorn crosses will have red earlobes if they're crossed with a breed with red earlobes, like Rhode Island red or white Plymouth rock. It doesn't matter too much, either way, but it can help to know exactly what you have if you are rehoming cockerels or want to breed purebred Leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom