6 wk head bent under her, walking never lifts head up

KFaye

Songster
8 Years
Mar 19, 2011
She is walking around, will eat, but won't lift head up. Almost like it is broken or something. I can get her on my lap and she lays with her head completely tucked under herself and purrs while I pet her. Once she wakes up I set her on the ground and she puts her head further under and walks backward. She seems to be able to see as she eats off the floor. Strangely docile as well.

Is she a Silky Bantam? If so it could be "crook neck" a condition where water gets on the brain from a little hole in the top of their head (only with Silkies though). If so, then the only thing to do is generally to cull her, but check to make sure it isn't a vitamin E deficiency (all breeds can have this), by taking some vitamin E tablets and cutting them open and having the chicken put her beak in it, eating/slurping its contents. You will notice an almost immediate difference (for the better). If it is then give her the tablets in the same way as before, about one a day, I think it is, until she feels better.

Thank you for the help. She is not a silkie, she is either a black leghorn or Australorp. I don't think Australorp as she has more of a yellow tinge to the bottom of her feet vs a pink tinge.

If this is a sudden onset and there is the possibility of an injury, such as a neck strain/sprain, then here is what I have seen in the past:
One time I had a chicken take a tumble down a ramp as she avoided being caught in the fishnet (I was moving it slowly and gently but she just oddly lept down the ramp). I noticed the next day that she was hanging her head funny toward the ground and it lasted a couple of days total. It improved after the first day greatly. She made a complete recovery.

Another possibility is crookneck/wry neck. It happens to silkies a lot but it can also happen to other breeds. If it were me I'd put a poultry vitamin pack in the water to see if that helped. Or you can try giving higher doses of individual vitamins as below but I have no knowledge of what doses are good.

The walking backward really sounds like wry neck to me from what I have read. I will try to find you a video.

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article.html
click on the left column where it says "crookneck" to view article

Thank you so much for your help...I glanced at the articles but wanted to stop to thank you before reading in depth. I did notice today she is lifting her neck but her head is still bent. It isn't to the side just straight down. Luckily she is still active and eating and drinking. Such a pretty girl I hope she feels better soon! Meanwhile dealing with my older ones having frost bite on their combs. My little roo looks funny. Poor toot

Is she a Silky Bantam?  If so it could be "crook neck" a condition where water gets on the brain from a little hole in the top of their head (only with Silkies though).  If so, then the only thing to do is generally to cull her, but check to make sure it isn't a vitamin E deficiency (all breeds can have this), by taking some vitamin E tablets and cutting them open and having the chicken put her beak in it, eating/slurping its contents.  You will notice an almost immediate difference (for the better).  If it is then give her the tablets in the same way as before, about one a day, I think it is, until she feels better.

Marek disease? I have 3 rhat have gone through that. All three recovered within a week.

Back
Top Bottom