6-year-old goose limping -- getting worse. Advice appreciated.

NEgoosegirl

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2015
Hi everyone!

I have a Sebastopol goose that is nearly 6 years old. She's been limping a bit off and on for several months now. It got worse when she sat on a nest in March, but then it got better for a while. Now it's worse than before -- she's basically hobbling.
I'm guessing it's some sort of injury, probably an aggravation of an old, mysterious injury that happened when she was young. For two days, she had trouble bending her neck down to graze, as if something in her hip or shoulder area hurt. Then she acted fine. She has had limping spells before, but they've always cleared up after only a little while.
The problem is, that I have felt her leg up to the hock joint under her wing, and I can't find anything visibly wrong with it! There's no swelling, nothing that feels too hot or lumpy or weird. Both legs feel the same to me. I can't see her skin beyond the shank, but I haven't seen any bruises and there's nothing the matter with the bottom of her foot as far as I can tell.

It could be a vitamin deficiency, I guess, but they are getting a pretty varied and balanced diet. I have been giving them some brewers yeast and a vitamin supplement on occasion, especially when her limping has been bad, but not on a regular basis. Intend to begin doing that. However, it's only the one leg, and the other female isn't limping at all.
Also, I haven't wormed them in a while and I read that a worm infestation can cause lameness?

If anyone has ever had a goose with a problem like this, or if anyone has any suggestions/advice, I'd really appreciate that! Thanks! Oh, and does anyone know what I could give her for a pain-reducer/to help with inflammation in case there is some that I'm not finding? Thank you!

Hi everyone!

I have a Sebastopol goose that is nearly 6 years old. She's been limping a bit off and on for several months now. It got worse when she sat on a nest in March, but then it got better for a while. Now it's worse than before -- she's basically hobbling.
I'm guessing it's some sort of injury, probably an aggravation of an old, mysterious injury that happened when she was young. For two days, she had trouble bending her neck down to graze, as if something in her hip or shoulder area hurt. Then she acted fine. She has had limping spells before, but they've always cleared up after only a little while.
The problem is, that I have felt her leg up to the hock joint under her wing, and I can't find anything visibly wrong with it! There's no swelling, nothing that feels too hot or lumpy or weird. Both legs feel the same to me. I can't see her skin beyond the shank, but I haven't seen any bruises and there's nothing the matter with the bottom of her foot as far as I can tell.

It could be a vitamin deficiency, I guess, but they are getting a pretty varied and balanced diet. I have been giving them some brewers yeast and a vitamin supplement on occasion, especially when her limping has been bad, but not on a regular basis. Intend to begin doing that. However, it's only the one leg, and the other female isn't limping at all.
Also, I haven't wormed them in a while and I read that a worm infestation can cause lameness?

If anyone has ever had a goose with a problem like this, or if anyone has any suggestions/advice, I'd really appreciate that! Thanks! Oh, and does anyone know what I could give her for a pain-reducer/to help with inflammation in case there is some that I'm not finding? Thank you!
Did you ever have a foot tag on it?

If you find bumble we can help. Just let us know if this is what the problem is This is my Runner ducks bumble most of the time it presents itself as a blk scab.

Attachments

• 72A4C3F2-8C7E-469E-A838-59F4A077B30F.jpeg
    72A4C3F2-8C7E-469E-A838-59F4A077B30F.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 2
Hi, thank you to both of you for your help and advice. Yes, I have checked the bottom of her foot and I can’t find anything. Thanks for including the photo, Miss Lydia! That’s helpful to know what to look for.
These last two days, I’ve been making sure she gets at least a little swim in the kiddie pool. And I read that chickweed can help with pain, so I found some in the vegetable garden and fed it to her. Yesterday, she didn’t want it. Today, she ate it happily. Yay! Now just see if it helps at all....

Back
Top Bottom