1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6 year old roo died Not sure why,,,

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedwingII, Sep 7, 2010.

1. RedwingII

RedwingII New Egg

Jan 23, 2009
    :(My 6 year old roo died, today without any good reason why. The only thing I could see that was odd in the last 3 or so days his tail feathers have been pulled out. It did not look like anything bad was going on with it, but I could not hold him with out help and large gloves. He was not a cuddly type of Roo he was all business and we love him for it.
    Any way he was fine last night maybe a little off but looking good, this morning he was on the floor of the hen house not able to stand, he was a little warm but not HOT.

2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    I'm so sorry you lost your roo. Wow 6 years old! It sounds like you took good care of him and he lived a long life.

3. RedwingII

RedwingII New Egg

Jan 23, 2009
    How long do Roo live for?

4. sandiatonimarie

sandiatonimarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    I think chickens can live up to ten years, some even longer but 6 years old is getting to be old for a chicken. Sounds like your roo had a good life!

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    How upsetting. I do get attached to a good roo. I had to put my old boy down at seven years. He had an infection that lamed him up. Maybe your boy had something like that on his tail or just some other injury you couldn't see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by