60 MPH gusts toppled our 8 x 16 run

h c hennery

Chirping
Jul 23, 2017
Northern Virginia
My husband pushed the run back into place, and no lasting damage. Shew!

Lessons learned: anchor/tie down the run. And polycarb roofing is amazingly resilient stuff! The run stood on its head for nearly 24 hours, and there’s no roof damage – all the dents popped out, and there’s just a little crimping in one corner.

Attachments

• 20180302_143342ed.jpg
    20180302_143342ed.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20180303_131058ed.jpg
    20180303_131058ed.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20180303_131258ed.jpg
    20180303_131258ed.jpg
    925.9 KB · Views: 25
Yes, we really got hammered in VA. Our count now on 13 acres is 25 trees down due to those winds. My hoop coop is anchored by t posts and it never budged. My dog kennel chain link runs for the chickens have metal roofs . They are well attached to the 8x10 cedar sided coop that has a metal roof with a sky light. But i think those rebar j hooks could be added for extra security.

I ordered a shed anchor kit on Amazon today, with auger anchors. It should get here Monday. The wind was quieter today, thank goodness, and should be even quieter tomorrow.

Wiring the run to t-posts probably would have worked, too -- we were just clueless newbies. :) It wasn't attached to anything, and the wind was unusually strong. (The southbound lanes of I-95 are still closed in our county.)

p.s. We do have a security apron attached to the base of the run, although it's not visible in the pictures.

That storm was WICKED !!
I learned a long time ago from my 1st Hurricane as a kid that when you build anything, make sure it is tied down deep in the ground.
Anytime the wind will be more then 35 mph I batten down the hatches.
I shut in the hens at 1 or 2 pm that day just to be on the safe side. They wouldn't go in.
The side run door stayed in place but will need more rope to hold it to the tpost as one came off.

Wish the J hooks were 2 feet long though
Glad the run wasn't twisted, that is usually what breaks it.

That storm was WICKED !!
I learned a long time ago from my 1st Hurricane as a kid that when you build anything, make sure it is tied down deep in the ground.
Anytime the wind will be more then 35 mph I batten down the hatches.
I shut in the hens at 1 or 2 pm that day just to be on the safe side. They wouldn't go in.
The side run door stayed in place but will need more rope to hold it to the tpost as one came off.

Wish the J hooks were 2 feet long though
Glad the run wasn't twisted, that is usually what breaks it.

I had a friend that works in a concrete place make mine. Cut rebar to whatever length you need, heat and bend. I would imagine one could do it themselves if they have a torch, a vise and a baby sledge.

Mine are 20 inches long.

Back
Top Bottom