Congratulations!! Sometimes all it takes is a knock on the door
smile.png

Dont you love neighbors like that? When i mentioned my muscovys to my jamaican neighbor(we refer for now to our neighbors by race or country of origin until we learn all their names)the first thing she asked was if i have females and if they lay yet. She'd love to get duck eggs for baking.

Don't you just love great neighbors? That's the way it should be.

Our wonderful neighbors are going to watch over and take care of our month-old chicks when we are on the road on a vacation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never talk to my neighbors. Nothing personal...I'm just fairly reserved and don't do that.

Anyway - one of my chickens had gotten grabbed in broad daylight by something and I was out following it's trail trying to figure out what it was. I wandered down to a neighbors house and was asking him some questions about what he might have seen around since the trail went to his yard (I thought maybe it was his dog or something).

As it turns out, it was probably a fox my neighbor sees running around all the time (all he has is a very small indoor dog). While we're talking though his wife comes out and mentions how much she loves to hear my roo crow. She said it's a highlight of her morning to come out and listen to him. She was scared that the chicken who had been killed was the rooster and when I told her it wasn't and he was still alive she was obviously relieved.

Nice that someone I had never even seen prior to this enjoyed my rooster that much and was so concerned for him. And here I was scared he was annoying everyone.

Last edited:
Understanding neighbors are the best. When I brought home my first couple of goats I was really nervous about offending the neighborhood. I live at the back of a residential subdivision. The first neighbor I told about my goat plan was so nice. She said that she had wanted to have some small livestock but couldn't get around the zoning. Apparently, the entire subdivision was classified as ag (our lot still is) up until a couple of years ago. Some hot shot realtor bought a bunch of houses and decided they would sell better if the area were residential. Unfortunately, the county agreed. So now I have the neighborhood petting zoo.

That is GREAT that you had such an amazing response. It really is great! How awesome that your neighbor wants to Barter services with you for eggs!! Win win!!

I never talk to my neighbors. Nothing personal...I'm just fairly reserved and don't do that.

Anyway - one of my chickens had gotten grabbed in broad daylight by something and I was out following it's trail trying to figure out what it was. I wandered down to a neighbors house and was asking him some questions about what he might have seen around since the trail went to his yard (I thought maybe it was his dog or something).

Anyway, turns out it was probably a fox he sees running around all the time (all he has is a very small indoor dog). While we're talking though his wife comes out and mentions how much she loves to hear my roo crow. She said it's a highlight of her morning to come out and listen to him. She was scared that the chicken who had been killed was the rooster and when I told her it wasn't and he was still alive she was obviously relieved.

Nice that someone I had never even seen prior to this enjoyed my rooster that much and was so concerned for him. And here I was scared he was annoying everyone.

That just illustrates to me that I need to bite the bullet and talk to my neighbors. It probably won't be as bad as I think it will be. We live on 5 acres, but are still considered in city limits, we just have different rules than the suburbs. One of our neighbors came up and greeted us on his horse, on our moving day. So I don't think that I will have to worry about him too much. The other one hasn't built his house yet, but has bought 3 acres next to it, and moved a lot of dirt. We have talked to him a couple of times. He mentioned getting a cow and putting it on the 10 acres across from us(His lot isn't zoned to have livestock b/c it's 3 acres) so I hope he will be ok with our chickens and various other things we will eventually get. He works for the city though, and I don't know what he does yet or if he's a stickler.....Hopefully it works out well for us. This thread gives me, dare I say it? A thread of hope....
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom