6th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2015 Hatch-A-Long

I'm terrible at math. I started with 13 eggs, 2 were clear so pulled those early, 1 got a large dent and hasn't pip, zip or hatched yet. So far I have 10 chicks from the 13 eggs that were set. How do I figure my hatch rate?

Divide them. 10/13= 76.9% hatch rate. If one more hatches, it will be: 84.6%

Both numbers can be rounded up to 77% and 85%.

Last edited:
Im down to my last 5 eggs 2 pips, 2 not doing anything yet and this one that im concernd about. I'm a hands off kind of person so I am just watching it and praying it will be ok. Advice? The membrane is yellowish.

So, the broody hatch was a bust. She didn't keep the eggs warm enough. But, the incubator hatch is going well with 3/3 Silkies hatched (1 partridge, 1 porcelain and 1 lavender) and 5 of the 6 golden cuckoo Marans have hatched (3 girls, 2 boys) with the last one pipped. Hoping the last one makes it out for a 100% hatch.
fl.gif

Not a great picture. Didn't want to take them out of the brooder. It is super cold here this morning! Better pictures to come!

Im down to my last 5 eggs 2 pips, 2 not doing anything yet and this one that im concernd about. I'm a hands off kind of person so I am just watching it and praying it will be ok. Advice? The membrane is yellowish.
It is up to you but a start would be to remove the membrane from the front. You can start by clearing the area around the beak. Watch for bleeding and stop if you see it. Just get the head free and see if it can finish getting out. Sometimes you can use something like a chip stick from the vent to get to the egg without opening the incubator.

So, the broody hatch was a bust. She didn't keep the eggs warm enough. But, the incubator hatch is going well with 3/3 Silkies hatched (1 partridge, 1 porcelain and 1 lavender) and 5 of the 6 golden cuckoo Marans have hatched (3 girls, 2 boys) with the last one pipped. Hoping the last one makes it out for a 100% hatch.
fl.gif

Not a great picture. Didn't want to take them out of the brooder. It is super cold here this morning! Better pictures to come!

Sorry about the broody hatch.

The look very nice!

Back
Top Bottom