6wk old duck attacked by opossum. Several injuries!!! How do I help him

I’m sorry for your loss
Hopefully this guy can recover

In the meantime I would make a more safe outside enclosure
When I have younger ducklings outside I built them a pen area with wood and hardware cloth
Nothing fancy and something I can take apart when I don’t need it
I also put a cover over the area as hawks are a big threat in the day

This was him this morning.
Not a good picture but I didn’t want to disturb him yet. I had to get my kids to school and youngest to daycare before I can do anything.
Both eyes are swollen shut this morning. But he drank his whole quart of water last night so I want to take that as a good sign
He will need a water dish deep enough to dunk his whole head in to clear his eyes

Use a warm saline rinse for cleaning his eyes very gently Pour the warm salty water over then apply Terramycin eye ointment it’s an antibiotic. Keep those wounds clean to ward off infection. Do you have any human antibiotics?just thinking with those wounds he might should be on one? What do you think @Eggcessive?
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323842#instructions

Poor little one it's amazing how well they can recover from such horrendous attacks. Please keep in inside until he is healed so flies don't get Into those wounds and lay eggs then you'll be dealing with maggots.

Use hardware cloth to build him and any other you get a safe predator proof run and coop so he never has to go through this again. And you either.

Back
Top Bottom