7 birds 5 different breeds. Will this be a problem???

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kenny j, Apr 16, 2017.

1. kenny j

kenny j New Egg

Apr 16, 2017
    Me and the wife decided to start raising our own chickens. We've been contemplating on what kind of chickens to get so we ended up getting 2 blue wyandottes 2 rir 1 Barnevelder 1 buff orpington and 1 black australorp. I cant help but to wonder will they get along with each other. We researched all the birds and fot the most part they have a pretty good temper. We're hoping that one breed will not "overpower or bully" another breed. They're all about 1 week old now and get along fine as of now, but will it be a problem as they get older.

2. arizonachickens

arizonachickens Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    They should all get along , chickens usually peck on other chickens if they are different from them like Polish with the feathered head . The other chickens might think it's wired and they might peck on them :)

3. kenny j

kenny j New Egg

Apr 16, 2017
    Yea one of my rir seems to be the most active of them all. She just goes around pecking all the other girls. She'll peck them when they are sleeping or eating. And the wyandottes like to go under the other birds and flip them over. Funny to watch.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under kenny j [​IMG] Welcome!

If they are raised together, I think they should be OK. There will be some pushing and shoving while the pecking order is established but they should settle after that.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    RIR's generally are the aggressive ones otherwise think your[​IMG] chicks should be fine growing up together.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kennyj, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I concur with the others and the advice they gave - when raised together everyone just seems to get a long - I've always had a mixed flock that begins as baby chicks and it all works out. If you do have a bird that seems to be bully here's a link that may assist you: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

7. kenny j

kenny j New Egg

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks everyone for eliminating that worry. Now I just have to go through the process of remembering the names my wife gave them.[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by