7 eggs, 5 layers???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jtbrown, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Production reds, hatched end of March this year, first egg middle of July. Normally get 5/5, occasionally we get 4/5, but 2 days ago 3/5 and yesterday 2/5. So low that even though I got home from work after dark and DH had already collected, I went out and checked myself -- under the guise of checking on my ladies, not that he would have missed any [​IMG]. Nope, I even took the flashlight and checked in the corners, even stirred the wood chips, no hidden eggs. This is a new coop, still installing walls, so no hiding places.

This morning,8 a.m. 5/5! They are normally mid morn layers, lucky to have 1-2 by 8 am. Then went out at 10 am to collect bantam eggs and got 2/4 of those and two more large brown eggs!!!!!!!! Has anyone else ever had that happen? Did several them have a pile up at egg exit site and then drop off the extra this a.m.? Got 7/5? All in the normal laying spot, none hidden. Just curious. Average out, not abnormal, but just strange. Thanks for input.

Ps, I thanked all the girls for their extra effort, and I'm home alone w 5 and 6 year old, they were still in bed, so no pranks!

2. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    that happened to us too yesterday! we have 11 chickens, and only 3 were laying. My family had already picked up 4 eggs(we were overjoyed that one other had started laying), but my mom told me i should go down there because she had heard a lot of what sounded like egg songs while i was at school.... We found 3 more!!!!! 7 eggs!!!!! [​IMG] imm still proud

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yesterday must have been the day. I had no eggs in the morning. Last night I found 3 small cream colored eggs. I have 1 Sicilian Buttercup that lays small cream colored eggs. My other 2 lay green eggs. [​IMG]

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by