7 Eggs in the incubator due soon & my hen has gone broody now! Can I put those under her??

She'd need close to 20 days to accept the babies and even then some hens aren't good mothers. I have hens kill chicks as soon as they hatch, so they aren't allowed to hatch any.
This ☝️. Same situation for me-several murdered chicks by a Bielefelder hen. Some hens are just bad at mothering.
Consider your hens breed- is it expected to be a good mother in general (silkie, orpington, etc) or unlikely.
Then there been enough time in the hens biologic clock to tell her chicks should be arriving? I would not put chicks or eggs soon to hatch under a hen who has been broody for less than 2 weeks. Her bio-clock may tell her something isn’t right- abandon the nest or eliminate the invaders.

This year we decided to hatch our own eggs and since none of our girls were broody we got an incubator. All was going well until our Wyandotka hen, Missy, went broody (3rd time in two years) the Friday before the weekend when the eggs were due to hatch.

I decided to take a chance and replaced the 2 eggs she was sitting on with 2 eggs from the incubator and since she was already sitting on my broody nest, I closed it and let her be.

On the weekend we had 11 eggs hatch successfully, and so did the two under Missy!! I was overjoyed and in a conundrum, trying to decide when to add the chicks to the hen.

By Monday 3 of the chicks had died for some reason, but all other chicks in the incubator looked strong. I put half of them under Missy when is was dark and she had already settled for the night, and the remainder 4 the night after.

It has been 2 weeks since they hatched and they look happy, healthy and ready!!

Alexandra bonita, five out of the seven eggs hatched :)) they are in their separate brooder, and Snowy is sitting pretty on her eggs.

Attachments

• AMZ_1638.jpg
    AMZ_1638.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 3
This year we decided to hatch our own eggs and since none of our girls were broody we got an incubator. All was going well until our Wyandotka hen, Missy, went broody (3rd time in two years) the Friday before the weekend when the eggs were due to hatch.

I decided to take a chance and replaced the 2 eggs she was sitting on with 2 eggs from the incubator and since she was already sitting on my broody nest, I closed it and let her be.

On the weekend we had 11 eggs hatch successfully, and so did the two under Missy!! I was overjoyed and in a conundrum, trying to decide when to add the chicks to the hen.

By Monday 3 of the chicks had died for some reason, but all other chicks in the incubator looked strong. I put half of them under Missy when is was dark and she had already settled for the night, and the remainder 4 the night after.

It has been 2 weeks since they hatched and they look happy, healthy and ready!!
Amazing that Missy is so accepting and forthright wanna be the mamma hen! And what a journey for you! Well done team chemicalconan

I would share their portraits no doubt!
I will soon share photos of the ones recently hatched in February, little divas enjoy performing for the camera :)
Would love to see photos too. ❤️
WoDia Out of the seven eggs, five hatched!! Im SO pleased, thank you universe!! Snowy is in her broody coop, and going strong... fingers crossed she'll be a mum again by the 16th!

Attachments

• AMZ_1556.jpg
    AMZ_1556.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 3
  • AMZ_1531.jpg
    AMZ_1531.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 4
  • AMZ_1646.jpg
    AMZ_1646.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 4
WoDia Out of the seven eggs, five hatched!! Im SO pleased, thank you universe!! Snowy is in her broody coop, and going strong... fingers crossed she'll be a mum again by the 16th!
I’m SO HAPPY for you!!!! WOW! They are gorgeous babies. And, please keep posting as they grow. 🥰 Looking forward to seeing Snowy and her new chicks (sometime near the 16th) as well!

Back
Top Bottom