1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 eggs!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PrincessPatty, Mar 12, 2015.

1. PrincessPatty

PrincessPatty New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    I have one Ameraucana and I am able to distinguish her eggs from the others because she is the only one that gives a light green egg. Today she gave me seven eggs. SEVEN EGGS! Now, although I am happy, I am a little worried because she usually just gives me the normal one egg a day and that's it; is there something wrong with her and should I be worried?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Are you saying your Ameraucana laid seven eggs in one day? That is physically impossible as the eggs cannot possibly formed from ova, pass down the oviduct, develop to full size, have pigment deposited on the shell, and reach the vent at that rate. The world egg laying record set by a White Leghorn hen in 1979 is 371 eggs in 365 days, which comes out to 1.016 eggs per day. Either you missed seeing some eggs that were laid over a number of days, or (more likely) someone is playing a practical joke on you. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened to a BYC member. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too have to agree with Michael on it being physically impossible for her to lay 7 eggs in one day. I hope you find the reason for this amount of eggs.

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC I am sure you will :frow

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

Things like this have happened before, either at the hand of a husband or boyfriend, who thought a practical joke would be hilarious. It isn't it's cruel and humiliating.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

7. mamahenAtlanta

mamahenAtlanta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    LOL! Sorry, but yes that is kinda funny. I can laugh because the opposite happened to me yesterday... I only have 5 hens and get 4 to 5 eggs each and every day.... until yesterday and there were NONE. Husband thought we had someone stealing from us! He was pretty upset. I knew no one was stealing but it was very strange, as I know our sex-link lays every single day without fail--to have NO eggs was just bizarre. Well, late last nite we checked again. 4 eggs there. Earlier when husband checked the boxes there was a late afternoon layer--she was still sitting in the box. Sitting on 4 eggs! That's the first time ever that all laid in the same box. Things happen..... but 7 eggs from one hen in one day..... doesn't.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

I agree with Michael O Shay; it is highly unlikely that she actually laid 7 eggs in one day. Sometimes, hens will lay two eggs, but certainly not seven!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4, somebody is probably playing a joke on you, or you found an old nest where she had hidden eggs in the past.

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yeah I agree with the other members as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by