7 mo cockerel shunned, attacking younger pullets

roheryn

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Northern CA
We’ve got a 7 month Silkie boy that is shunned by our flock. He was raised with 3 others, one is an Ayam Cemani cockerel (who is dominant). We integrated these new ones with two older hens, and Initially they all got along, but at about 5 months the ladies started picking on him. They chase him and pull his feathers. He’s the only Silkie. We tried the kennel for two weeks but it isn’t working. He mostly hides under the deck, but trails after the hens if one is alone.

We got two young female Silkies (10 weeks) so he might have friends, but now he’s attacking them. We introduced them through wire for two weeks, then allowed supervised interaction and he always grabs their heads and pulls out feathers! They are terrified of him, understandably. So now he’s isolated again. He’s a beautiful show bird, very good pedigree, but I’d hate him to live alone forever. Is there any hope?

but now he’s attacking them. We introduced them through wire for two weeks, then allowed supervised interaction and he always grabs their heads and pulls out feathers!
He's not attacking them. He's trying to mate with them and they are way too young for that so they scream and run, he hangs on = feathers come out.
Keep him confined from them but near them for a few more weeks until the Silkie pullets have time to mature. Maybe when the girls are 15 weeks old or so try again.

He's not attacking them. He's trying to mate with them and they are way too young for that so they scream and run, he hangs on = feathers come out.
Keep him confined from them but near them for a few more weeks until the Silkie pullets have time to mature. Maybe when the girls are 15 weeks old or so try again.
Thanks, I’ve never had a roo before so this is new territory… I get the whole teen boy hormones thing, it just seemed strange he wasn’t trying to mount, just head grabbing. I’ll give them all more time.

was planning to introduce to new girls to the flock this weekend, they’ve been spending time outside in a kennel getting to know the others. Hoping when things calm down and they are older, the Silkies will hang out together

Back
Top Bottom