1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 month old pullet with curled under toe-Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erinangele, Feb 9, 2012.

1. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi, i have 6 chickens and noticed a few days ago that ones toe is slightly curled under causing her to limp a little. It is not an obvious limp, but if you are paying attention you can see it. She seems ok other wise, laying, eating, drinking, normal poops etc. The others are all fine. I am feeding them an organic layer pellet, i think its called Natural Organic.

Do you think she could have broken it some how? They have 1/4 inch wire on the bottom of the coop, maybe it got caught? I'm not sure if it's something i need to treat, or if it will work itself out. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Can you splint her toe with a popsicle stick (or something similar) and use vet wrap tape to hold it? The vet wrap is remarkable.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    If it is curled under you really should try to straighten it into a neutral position. If it won't easily move into the neutral position then it is going to need to be trained to do so. A chicken walking on a crooked toe is much more likely to battle bumblefoot repeatedly because of abnormal use and "wear and tear" where there isn't supposed to be any.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

That's a site to a chicken podiatry page which will help you to immobilize the foot properly.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by