7 week chickens transition to outside in the fall

Oct 20, 2020
Hi all
I got chicks this fall (a first for me) and have been raising them in a brooder in the house. Since the weather has been nice for about the past week I've been packing them up and putting them outside in the run during the day and then bringing them back in at night. I was planning on transitioning them to the coop outside at night this week, but after the weekend we are about to hit our first freeze and maybe snow. Do I delay the outside transition? Keep them inside the coop during the cold time (there isn't any heat out there, but it's dry and not drafty)? They seem to be mostly feathered. Oh and there are only 4 of them. This fall time chick raising is crazy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For future reference, you can start them out in the coop with a Mama Heating Pad brooder, or some other source of heat. I have started chicks out in the coop in April when the lows can get down to the mid-20s and have had no problems. Chicks brooded with the MHP method seem healthier, feather out faster and are off heat sooner.

They spent the last 3 nights outside no problem. I'm still a little worried because it's going to drop temperature like crazy and snow. Mountain life. So from low 40 degree nights to 17. Ack.

Back
Top Bottom