7 week old Ameraucana - Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChandlersChickens, Aug 28, 2011.

1. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    I bought these two chicks a couple weeks ago, the older one is for sure a pullet (approximately 10 weeks old). The other one, I'm not so sure about. I purchase them from an Ameraucana breeder, but I'm sure the young one may have been too young to tell at the time. He did tell me that both were pullets, but we all make mistakes [​IMG]. Please excuse how he/she looks, he/she is still feathering out. The comb is pinker than the older one, which is what got me wondering today.

Below is the one in question...(approximately 7 weeks old)

[​IMG]

Here is the pullet

[​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    looks like a cockerel to me

3. ChandlersChickens

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    Thanks for the input, Jean!

I guess I'll be rehoming another roo...once his feathers come in.

4. giefdog

giefdog Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    It's hard to tell I have a 16 week old Amerucana who We thought was a roo until we both saw her lay an egg she has a large red comb about the size of our roo now so until it crows or lays an egg good luck

5. donnaboydjones

donnaboydjones Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 6 americauna babies and they all looked the same until the day one started crowing at 3 months.

6. ChandlersChickens

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    With the four I had, I thought I had 3 roos when they were 8 weeks old. Around 13 weeks I knew for sure, and unfortunately I was right. There was just too big of a difference in their combs. I'll wait and see how this one turns out... [​IMG]

7. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Just want to say hello, ChandlersChickens. [​IMG] RhodeIslandredFan Duncannon, PA

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I'm with Jean on this one, cockeral [​IMG]

9. ChandlersChickens

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    Quote:[​IMG] hello to you too!

I rehomed this poor guy to the Amish man who built my coop. He was getting picked on and lost his tail feathers, plus his legs splotchy and not completely black and my daughter wants to raise show chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by