7 week old Chick very lethargic and regurgitated liquid

Can you get a chick starter or an all flock feed that is 18-20% protein.

Any lice or mites on this chick?
He's quite pale and poorly looking.

He may have just spit up excess yolk and electrolytes, had too much in his crop if he had not been eating/drinking.

I'd provide him with wet soaked feed, fresh water and make sure he's got chick grit available.
Re-check that crop first thing in the morning before he's had anything to eat/drink to make sure it's emptying. IF it's not emptying after he's slept all night long and not had anything to eat or drink, then begin treating for Crop Problems.

Photos of the poop would be good.

You are feeding Barostoc which does not contain Amprolium which is in the Coccivet, so you'll have to see if there's contraindications, probably not but research. There's plenty of info if you search.

You mention that you were informed that you were giving an incorrect dose of Coccivet. If you followed the instructions on the label, then it was not incorrect.
Look at your label! I read the dose is 15mL of Coccivet to 10L of water (or 1Tblsp to 2 1/2 gallons of water) given as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days.

SO! If you are using 1L of water then you'd use 1.5mL of Coccivet in that Liter of water. Not sure where you're getting 6...?
The person was correct in providing me the information about incorrect dosage. Although their amount may be wrong, there is a serious error on the manufacturers information. I have also found 2 other stores using the same ingredient amount with different dosage amounts. I have found that the bottle I have lacks an important piece of information, the dosage for a single chick. I have attached photos. It is specifically the dosage for Chickens is higher x4. The dosage provided on the bottle is only for small birds such as a budgie. Upon me calling Vetafarm they confirmed that I would need to follow the singular dose which is lacking information on the bottle. I have arranged to purchase Baycox instead to solve this headache. I had already made up the single dose for my Chick as I never rely entirely on what I’ve been told by others. I had treated all the Chicks for mites and lice. I cannot see any mites or n him but there was mites on his previous coop that prompted us to spray the coop and the chickens. I will do him another dose to make sure but it does not look to have any. I do have worming meds for them and I’ll do that today too.

Attachments

• A081F938-9EDE-4608-8EF7-8635AF4F3996.jpeg
    A081F938-9EDE-4608-8EF7-8635AF4F3996.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 5
  • E739E8BD-B968-4EA8-A15C-E42C4D48534E.png
    E739E8BD-B968-4EA8-A15C-E42C4D48534E.png
    288.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Here is a current video of him. He looks to be having some kind of breathing issue. Sometimes he thrusts his head upwards and out and I hear a snake with the beak. He still has some saliva excess but not actual discharge externally. What his doing in the video, he is doing continuously. I felt his crop yesterday morning after he had no food and water all night and his crop felt flat.

Attachments

• A234EA26-35F8-4E09-BF8B-8249C441DF50.jpeg
    A234EA26-35F8-4E09-BF8B-8249C441DF50.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 5
Starting to look more like a respiratory infection to me. Can you get tylosin or a similar antibiotic?
I have found this. I am still searching other websites for this antibiotic. So far the ones I found have been quite costly. I can get them, but not today. This other one is a lot cheaper and I don’t need a prescription to get it. I can get Triple C today.

Attachments

• 18EE32FE-E118-4D28-98AD-1D471C083A46.png
    18EE32FE-E118-4D28-98AD-1D471C083A46.png
    540.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Definitely respiratory. I’ve been sitting with him on my lap for half an hour and I’ve heard lots of strange sounds. A type of sigh or wheeze and some gurgling/clicking noises with a sound that sounds like a phlegm in the throat. You can hear the air passing the mucous.

I have found this. I am still searching other websites for this antibiotic. So far the ones I found have been quite costly. I can get them, but not today. This other one is a lot cheaper and I don’t need a prescription to get it. I can get Triple C today.
Tetracyclines are good, strong antibiotics so I would go with that if it's easy to get. Haven't used chlortetracycline before so I can't really help you with dosage. A quick online search showed everything from 10mg/kg to 60mg/kg for chickens. Hope you can find a reliable source to help with dosage.

Tetracyclines are good, strong antibiotics so I would go with that if it's easy to get. Haven't used chlortetracycline before so I can't really help you with dosage. A quick online search showed everything from 10mg/kg to 60mg/kg for chickens. Hope you can find a reliable source to help with dosage.
Unfortunately I don’t think this is going to help. He has barely had anything to drink in 3 hours and sane with eating. His breathing has got worse and he now needs to open his beak every time he breathes. I fear I might need to euthanise him to stop his suffering.

Awwww he is doing so much better today. He is eating and drinking and is so full of life. He still has the respiratory issue but it is greatly improved. One day of treatment has helped so much. I am so glad I decided against Euthanising. He was really bad yesterday. He could barely keep his eyes open. I gave him raw egg yolk mixed with some of his antibiotic water and electrolytes. Today he is almost back to normal. He is chirping heaps again and is keeping his eyes open. His also opening his beak rarely to breathe. I am so happy 💖

Attachments

• E7112B20-EA97-4B70-BEC8-98405F4C01ED.jpeg
    E7112B20-EA97-4B70-BEC8-98405F4C01ED.jpeg
    548.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 800FCCA7-4CFE-498A-9EDB-719642866AE6.jpeg
    800FCCA7-4CFE-498A-9EDB-719642866AE6.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 5
Yay! So happy to hear he is doing better!
I am so overjoyed. We were planning on keeping him and not rehoming. Previous attempts at saving chicks for whatever the reason has unfortunately been a losing battle, only 3 chicks but did start to feel helpless. This time it worked. Hoping his going to get clear of all this and get back to normal. He will always have a very close connection with us too 💖

Back
Top Bottom