7 week old chicks too cold to go outside?

Urbansteader

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2022
Hey everyone so my chicks will be 7 weeks old this weekend (2 barred rocks 2 sapphire gems) and we were planning on putting them out in the coop this weekend but then I checked the weather and next week there will be a couple nights where the low is 19 and 20 degrees F. So my question is- Is that too cold for them? I have successfully weaned them off their heat lamp for over a week now and I’ve been opening the window where they’re at currently during the night to kind of acclimate them but I am still worried as I see conflicting advise on here. They are all healthy and have grown all their feathers in it seems. Thanks in advance.

They'd be fine going out in sub-freezing temps. They do not need nor should they have a heat source.
If you're concerned put a huddle box in the coop in a sheltered corner with lots of thick dry bedding in it.
Hey everyone so my chicks will be 7 weeks old this weekend (2 barred rocks 2 sapphire gems) and we were planning on putting them out in the coop this weekend but then I checked the weather and next week there will be a couple nights where the low is 19 and 20 degrees F. So my question is- Is that too cold for them? I have successfully weaned them off their heat lamp for over a week now and I’ve been opening the window where they’re at currently during the night to kind of acclimate them but I am still worried as I see conflicting advise on here. They are all healthy and have grown all their feathers in it seems. Thanks in advance.

They'd be fine going out in sub-freezing temps. They do not need nor should they have a heat source.
If you're concerned put a huddle box in the coop in a sheltered corner with lots of thick dry bedding in it.
That’s kind of what I was thinking. And btw you were right about pre fabs. Cheap garbage. My husband literally had to build from scratch and we just de constructed the coop and used basically only the tin roof because the wood was so thin & cheap.

Back
Top Bottom