7 week old Lavender Araucana Roo is Fertile!

Pheobe_nz

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
New Zealand
Im new to chickens
and had my first hatch 7 weeks ago
I hatched eggs I brought using my broody bantam
She still has 1 chick with her is is a rooster as I sold his mates already
But I have noticed my bantams eggs are showing the fertile sign on the yolk.
So hes obviously mating her
Im just really suprised as I thought they were fertile later than that
Im hopeing to rehome the rooster soon
Prob is she is very attached to him and tried to move them with my other hens but the rooster chick got agro attacking everyone so I seperated him out and she cried for him for hours so put them back together again . I cant keep roosters as im in town and she is so maternal over the roo has she decided hes her mate? if she decides to go broody I will let her sit on them sice they are fertile and maybe that will distract her, then I will keep a hen baby for her but so far no interest

Anyone else noticed this before the attachment to a roo chick and a roo chick being fertile so young?
Thanks
Natasha

Sorry I never had her with a roo
I brought fertile eggs
The 7 week old baby roo chick is the only male she has been near

I saw the roo mating her today and he is only 7 weeks
So I guess that answers my question
they can mate this early and he is fertile

Wish more people would reply to my posts when I ask for advice

I am really not sure that is possibly I think you might be thinking that the eggs are fertile when they are not I have done that before. He really cannot be sexually mature at 7 weeks.

Henry

He may do the mating act. I've had youngsters about that age do that, however, they cannot be fertile at 7 weeks old. I think you are mistaking the white spot to mean fertility perhaps? It would have a white ring around it if they were fertile. There is a thread that shows the difference between fertile and infertile. If they really are fertile, then some other rooster is doing the fertilizing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

It would have a white ring around it if they were fertile

Thanks for the link
I had used it already thats why I posted as I was very suprised
The eggs I have had from this hen are like the second pic
with the ring and spot
I do not have any other roosters and I have had her 4 months so wont be retained sperm
I will try and get a pic when I use an egg next
My camera doesnt always get the best pics as only 4 megapixles but I will try
Thanks

Cynthia, Thank you for the post with the link for the fertile eggs. I was wondering what they looked like. Now I know for sure my chicken eggs are fertile!

Sharon

Sometimes, an infertile egg will have a shadow around the blastodisc and make the ID a tad more iffy, so not all are 100% easy to tell. That'd be one for the record books if a 7 week old rooster was really fertile, though!

Back
Top Bottom