7 Week Old - Muscovy Ducks

Mmfarm119

Chirping
Jul 26, 2020
I have 3, 7 week old Muscovy Ducks. Any ideas on genders?

Attachments

• Snapchat-1453164270.jpg
    Snapchat-1453164270.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 57
The photo with 2 of them- the bottom one is definitely male. I'm leaning toward all being male just based on the wings but it's hard to tell. Would be easier to tell gender if you had full body shots with feet showing.

I can’t tell. With mine the drakes and ducks developed a size divide first (I noticed the drakes had larger feet and later they grew into those feet and were larger than the ducks).
They aren’t old enough to tell by curuncles yet. But with mine, my ducks developed curuncles before my drakes but once the drakes started getting curuncles they quickly surpassed the ducks.
Some people say you can tell by sound first the drakes will start hissing and the ducks will start cooing. That method didn’t work well for me, until they were much older and I had already figured out what was a drake and what was a duck.
I also remember that when they started to get their adult feathers the drakes and ducks molted slightly differently but I can’t remember how and it’s a bit late in the game for that now.

A side note:
The one pictured in the the first and last pictures looks like it has angel wing.
(If you already know don’t worry about it)
Angel wing is when the last wing feathers tilt out instead of in and underneath the other wing feathers.
The condition is not serious. If uncorrected the feathers will stay that way the duck may have a bit of difficulty flying and will look a bit funny because it’s wings won’t sit flat at its sides. It won’t otherwise effect it’s health or quality of life.
Search “angel wing” on here and you should find some good articles and discussions on it.
One of my ducks had angel wing when I got her (and she was much to old to correct it) and never had any problems. I corrected her offspring though using wrapping and stocking methods as soon as I noticed the wing tips tilting out when they developed pin feathers. Stocking method worked better for me.

I can’t tell. With mine the drakes and ducks developed a size divide first (I noticed the drakes had larger feet and later they grew into those feet and were larger than the ducks).
They aren’t old enough to tell by curuncles yet. But with mine, my ducks developed curuncles before my drakes but once the drakes started getting curuncles they quickly surpassed the ducks.
Some people say you can tell by sound first the drakes will start hissing and the ducks will start cooing. That method didn’t work well for me, until they were much older and I had already figured out what was a drake and what was a duck.
I also remember that when they started to get their adult feathers the drakes and ducks molted slightly differently but I can’t remember how and it’s a bit late in the game for that now.

A side note:
The one pictured in the the first and last pictures looks like it has angel wing.
(If you already know don’t worry about it)
Angel wing is when the last wing feathers tilt out instead of in and underneath the other wing feathers.
The condition is not serious. If uncorrected the feathers will stay that way the duck may have a bit of difficulty flying and will look a bit funny because it’s wings won’t sit flat at its sides. It won’t otherwise effect it’s health or quality of life.
Search “angel wing” on here and you should find some good articles and discussions on it.
One of my ducks had angel wing when I got her (and she was much to old to correct it) and never had any problems. I corrected her offspring though using wrapping and stocking methods as soon as I noticed the wing tips tilting out when they developed pin feathers. Stocking method worked better for me.
Thank you so much for alerting me of this. I was out watching them in the grass today and I noticed the 1 duck had his wings tilted out. I didnt think much of it. It was on the biggest duck and I figured because it was so big it caused the wings to tilt out. Ive never heard of the angel wing thing before. Is it something to worry about?

The photo with 2 of them- the bottom one is definitely male. I'm leaning toward all being male just based on the wings but it's hard to tell. Would be easier to tell gender if you had full body shots with feet showing.
I will try to get some pics like this. These ducks are such busy bodies getting the grass and bugs and dont stay still long enough.

I also want to say that I have 6 of these ducks total but 3 are 7 weeks almost 8 and the other 3 are 2 weeks behind them. I havent posted the other 3 because most say its too early to tell genders. I go back and forth on if they are male and female on each 1 every day.

I also want to say that I have 6 of these ducks total but 3 are 7 weeks almost 8 and the other 3 are 2 weeks behind them. I havent posted the other 3 because most say its too early to tell genders. I go back and forth on if they are male and female on each 1 every day.

Try to get good pictures of them all (the younger ones too) and I'll try my best to tell you their genders. It's often said you can tell by 4 weeks old, but it's easier for those with a trained eye. I've had practice with my 156 muscovy ducklings I hatched out this year so I'm starting to be able to tell more easily. Lol

Back
Top Bottom