7 week old welsh harliquin

natrm83

Chirping
Mar 3, 2017
Newton, Ia
Ok, so I have been doing alot of reading, of any info I can find on welsh harliquin ducks.
I order 15 ducklings consisting of several different breeds. When they arrived I sexed them all and my welsh harliquin was the only one that without a doubt showed to be male.
But now at 7 weeks old with his feathers and true color coming in. He is beginning to look like a she.
And I am reading that W.H. 's can be sexed with 90% accuracy and that females will have black bills with a spot at the end.
So because I was pretty positive he/she had a little dingy pop out when I sex him. I've been positive he was a he. But now at 7 weeks he looks like this, and I am starting to feel conflicted.
Then I remembered the juvenille rouen and mallard ducks I raised in the past went through a eclipse phase where their plumage will make them look like hens, before drakes.
But the elephant in the room is the black bill that is still throwing me off.
I'm sharing 2 pictures the day I got him and now at 7 weeks.

I thought I had taken a better one then yhis of him today. But can't seem to find the picture. So thinking maybe it didn't save. I'll have to retake tomarrow.

Attachments

• 20200420_193743.jpg
    20200420_193743.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200420_193510.jpg
    20200420_193510.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 4
You might get better luck in the duck forum. :) I've never raised Welsh Harlequin but I'd say hen judging by the pattern and the bill

Back
Top Bottom