7 weeks old and still sleeping in a pile?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenbike, Jul 13, 2008.

1. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, my four Patridge Chantecler girls are 7 weeks old and still sleeping and napping in a pile.

I have provided a roost bar, but they simply snuggle up to one another, all entwined with heads on one another's backs....really the most adorable site! Should I be concerened? They live in a Forsham design chicken ark.

Sometimes they nap in a row on their outdoor roost bar, but at night.....they always choose the snuggle pile. The temperature is very comfortable at 15-18 degrees C.

Will they "grow" into using the roost bar in the top of the ark during the night? Will they continue to sleep in a pile, even when completely grown?

2. comerrick

comerrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    I have this feeling, that just like human children, they grow up. Now I could be wrong. [​IMG]
    Lov
    Liv

3. chickenbike

Ah....well now that would be just too much common sense! [​IMG]

I'm probably being the overly anatlytical, chicken obsessed owner!

4. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    My bunch is now 5,6 & 7 wks old...Out in the coop and they still huddle also...I have a tree limb for a roost in there but only a couple will sleep on it. It's a tight huddle too.

5. chickenbike

Mine are in a tight huddle too. It takes them a minute or so of adjusting with one another as they all like to be the one right in the middle. Then everyone's head is supported by each other's back etc.

I've taken a cup of coffee out there in the evening or morning and simply watched them sleep like that.....everyone breathing together....so sweet.

As long as it's normal, I won't get concerend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by