7 weeks old (Pic Heavy)

jray

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 5, 2008
Piedmont, SC
I moved them out of their brooder this past Sunday into the coop. I've been letting them out in the run for a hour or two every day while I can supervise until I get the poultry wire around the bottom of the run. As you will see, they have their own guard dog. (Bessie the basset hound)

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

Neat flock, I love seeing mixed flocks and was especially interested to see how big yours are at 7 weeks compared to mine who are a week younger. You've got some pretty birds and an enviable coop!

The "lap chicken" is T-pain the RIR.

I'll bet not many chickens have their own hound to watch over them.

Don't be to sure about that your dog reminds me of my guard dogs scarlet and violet the basset girls my flock has just started laying in the last week and a half and now I have 2 or 3 eggs a day
cool.png
my ladies are the best !

Henry

Last edited:
Our other Basset (Maggie Mae) could care less about the chickens. She just wants to lay on the couch. My coop and run are right beside my outdoor dog's pen. I figured that that mught help keep some of the critters away.

My girls have doon really well. I feed Nutrena medicated start and grow.

Scarlet loves the chickens she thinks they are all her best friend she also loves to try and get chicken food LOL. Violet is blind and deaf and really old so she doesn't go out near the chicken tractor too much. scarlet tried to tackle a yellow lab when he came over to go after the chickens but I got to him first. He came back yesterday when I was at school and one of the pullets was out and he got her because she was outside scarlets electric fence
sad.png

Good luck with your bassets and chickens LOL
Henry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom