1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 weeks old some have tail feathers some don't pullets or roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by andischickenfarm, Sep 27, 2007.

1. andischickenfarm

andischickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2007
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Hi,

I have (10) 7 week-old Black Australorps and some of them have little tail feathers and some don't. Which one is which? They all look alike except for their tails. I'm having to sell them this Saturday and I'm wanting to keep a pullet. So if you can help me with this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Andi

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, generally the longer tail ones have been found as girls but there are exceptions. I'd say keep two if you are gong to keep some. They need a friend.

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I ordered Australop pullets and the are 3 weeks old and all have little tail feathers. I hope this helps

Adam

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I have 5 week austrolorps boy & girl!

I believe the one with tail feathers is the pullet!

The one with out tail is the Roo because he stands taller & his hips are higher!

((this has also helped me sex my silkies))

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Also, check out the leg thickness as well. Cockerels oftentimes have very thick legs compared to the pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by