7 year old suspended from school for shaping breakfast bar into "gun."

Must be the theme this week. I got a call from my 7 year olds school this week. Apparently my son had gotten in a tussle with another boy and threatened to shoot the other kid. He knows this isn't ok but I suppose forgot the rules in the heat of the moment. Anyway the principle called me and asked if we had guns in our home. This really threw me for a loop. I understand that emotions are high right now based on recent events but come on. I felt a bit like my privacy was invaded by the question. What if I had answered it wrong? I know this isn't as innocent as the kiddo in the story but it still seemed a little overreactive to me. The story you posted is crazy...must be Portland.

Oh boy! How rediculous is that! I would be giving that teacher a peice of my mind if it were mychild....they are only 7 for crying out loud...what is wrong with the teacher would be my question.

To suspend such a young child for fashioning a gun out of a pastry is quite ridiculous but just demonstrates the heightened tension that exists in schools. This can only have a detrimental effect on the children. In any school that I have worked in until very recently the child would have been fixed with a withering look and told he was a very silly boy. The other children would have stifled giggles and that would have been the end of the matter. The other case is much more serious. A child who threatens to shoot another is being exposed to too much violence in society. This may easily be through unsuitable television programmes, careless talk by the adults around them etc.

A seven year old hasn't reached the age of discretion, they do not understand that we often speak figuratively and they understand only on a literal level. This head teacher was trying to discover whether it would be possible for the child to have access to a gun in the interest of the safety of the whole school. The parent needs to sit the child down and tell them she/he is very upset and disappointed in this behaviour. It is totally unacceptable to threaten anyone in any way. If the child has concerns about another's behaviour the correct thing to do is to speak to the teacher. Please take this seriously and don't take the attitude that it is your child just mouthing off. A sharp reprimand now, and some determined effort to exclude violence, even in the form of video games/television, may save your child and yourself from a lot of heartache.

What the heck is wrong with schools today? (rhetorical question). When I went to school if you did something good you received a good citizen award,not to brag but I did get one( a long time ago) and brought up on stage but was a far cry from what this kid did. He saves at least one life and probably others and gets punished for his behavior. What was the kid supposed to do? Go tell the bus driver? If he did that it would have been to late. Sort of like waiting for the police to save you when there is an intruder in your house, minutes away when seconds matter.
barnie.gif
I guess when you do the right thing it is not. Mixed messages they are teaching our children.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom