70* nights outside

My Chicks were dealing with 68F temperatures since I got them because they had a heating pad. They stopped using it around 2 1/2 weeks and were fine in 60 degree weather outside. It depends on the breed too.

I would say if they are a standard heritage breed with medium feather growth around 3 weeks they would be fine.

Ok thank you. I'm sure the first night I will check on them frequently, haha. They'll be 3 weeks on Tuesday so I'm thinking maybe next week-weekend. And a few nights before I think I'll start leaving their light off inside so I can see how they do and start to get them acclimated. I'm not sure about "standard heritage breed", they're Easter Eggers.

If they have a hanging heater, and enough room to move around to go in and out of the heat, they can be out in a chicken house. My chicks are 10 days old, and in an un-insulated, un-heated shed. I like to keep remote temperature sensors there so that I do not have to go out to check them so often. Last night, 65 outside the hanging heater, 75 under the heater. The heater is 150 watt reptile heater, no light.

unfortunately I don't have electricity out there so I can't run a lamp or heating pad

All good info. I’m paying attention as I will have some new arrivals June 30. 2 Light Brahmas, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Buff Orpington and 2 SLW

There's so much info about raising babies in cold temps, but not so much for summer babies! Yours sounds like it will be a diverse and pretty flock! Mine are all Easter Eggers but there's quite the variety in their coloring so I'm hoping we'll have a fun mix. :love

Thank you everyone for the helpful responses, it sounds like 3 weeks is the consensus so next week-weekend should be perfect timing. 😃

Ok thank you. I'm sure the first night I will check on them frequently, haha. They'll be 3 weeks on Tuesday so I'm thinking maybe next week-weekend. And a few nights before I think I'll start leaving their light off inside so I can see how they do and start to get them acclimated. I'm not sure about "standard heritage breed", they're Easter Eggers.
Definitely turn the heat off inside now so they will slowly acclimate to the lower temps. I'm guessing your house is about 75 or so inside?

Back
Top Bottom