7mth old chickens and no eggs!!

shellyschicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
Melbourne
Hi,
I have chickens ranging from 5-7 months + and still no eggs!! We are heading into winter here in Melbourne Aust... Everyone keeps telling me that I won't get an egg now till spring, is this true?
My older girls are Rhode Island reds, light Sussex and Australorp hybrid.
Many thanks

Waiting for those first eggs never gets any easier! :) Depending on your chickens you may or may not get eggs during the winter. Mine usually lay at least a few. I wouldn't give up hope. Do they free range? I had one who hid all her eggs and didn't lay in the coop. Stinker!

Welcome!

Hi,
Thanks so much for replying, they have a large run and I let them free range when I am home and the kids aren't playing footy. Chickens and balls don't mix!! There run is large but not many places they could hide any eggs.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

What a bunch of slackers! Since your days are getting shorter, that does indeed cause hens to lay less. Increasing the length of daylight should help. This is best done by having a light in the coop on a timer come on in the morning, giving then a 13-14 hour day.

Are your hens eating a layer feed?

Last edited:
Greetings, shelleyschicks, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Hope your girls start churning out the eggs soon!

welcome-byc.gif
could they be laying eggs in hiding, when you let them free range? Are their combs getting redder? Do they squat when you touch them on their backs?

Those are typical in a hen getting near point of lay.

Last edited:
I check the back yard constantly and also tell the kids to go on a egg hunt. They squat and two girls have very large red wattles and combs. The Sussex is so big I actually have never seen a chick that large. :)

Back
Top Bottom