7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Candled last night. One of the shipped ones that I had put question mark on and then an x actually has something in it. So 14 of 18 shipped eggs are growing. I'm concerned about the large air space it seems like they should be at day 20 already. Increasing humidity but it's already at 50% average. The Marans egg air space is small due to extra moisture.

How high is the humidity?

bama, so glad that you and yours are ok. And, that your home is fine. What a horrible thing to have happen. So many people with damage.

bama, so glad that you and yours are ok.  And, that your home is fine.  What a horrible thing to have happen.  So many people with damage. 

x2!!!!!

I candled my eggs last, I still have 15 going strong! I can't wait until they hatch, I've got a new rooster in one of my breeding pens and some new girls in the other, very anxious to see what they produce!

Been trying to keep it at or above 50% the guy I got them from said they do best at 50-55% then more for lockdown
When I hatch dark eggs, they do better at a lower humidity--30 to 35%.

It might be better for all of the hatch to split the differences, say 40 to 45% and the around 60% and lockdown.

It gets harder when hatching different breeds for sure.

This is from a Marans breeder:

Quote:

I set duck eggs but he she already hatched also set goose eggs batman and silkie
[/IMG][/IMG]

When I hatch dark eggs, they do better at a lower humidity--30 to 35%.

It might be better for all of the hatch to split the differences, say 40 to 45% and the around 60% and lockdown.

It gets harder when hatching different breeds for sure.

This is from a Marans breeder:

That's the problem I'm finding myself in. The shipped eggs are Altsteirer and know to lay lots of eggs. I'm guessing their shells are more porous due to higher production. The one Marans egg I put in there is developing. It may not make it. So I'm choosing to up humidity in effort to keep others air space from shrinking as fast.
Did not realize at the time of mixing hard shells versus porous shells. Live and learn. That's why I like this HAL

Back
Top Bottom