7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

No signs of anything on my eggs, so far. I moved them to a "hatcher" incubator yesterday morning, which is now struggling to maintain full temps. It dropped almost a full degree last night! We had a cool night here in Phoenix and it was near freezing, so our house got a little chilly.

(The other 'bator I have is the HOVABATOR GENESIS - which I highly recommend! It self-adjusts the temp so even if the room the eggs are in gets cool or heats up, the incubator automatically keeps the temp on target. LOVE that incubator!)

I'm sure the eggies are fine, but the move may have slowed the hatch a little.

I took new photos of my older babies - some of the siblings of these eggies! I can't wait to hatch more from this breeder pen. The goal of this breeding project was to pull spotted (Mottled) color from the moms, out of the mostly-white Dad, who had great body type but totally wrong color. I got about four teenagers now who are the right color and should show terrific body type, thanks to their handsome Daddy!

Here's the breeder pen, showing Dad and Moms. Moms are "right" color, (spotted) and Dad is beautiful but "wrong" color (white)

Here are the babies at six weeks old!

Chickie on the far left - beautiful spotty baby!!! Most are white with some black marks (Colombian coloration) or Buff Colombian, but that one got COLOR. That baby is PERFECT! Just what I've been trying for.

Some spotty color is going on with these two as well. I can't wait to see how they turn out!

And everyone wants hens - but I hope these spotty babies are BOYS!

Looking for new Daddies to put over my little Aloha hens late this Spring.
big_smile.png

Babies are nice and plump. Dad is from Light Sussex bloodlines, which are huge meaty chickens. Hens were some of my biggest spotty gals. Looking to increase size and heft on my spotty little Alohas! Was breeding in hopes of getting some really nice roosters.

I'm so excited to see what the New Year's batch has in store! Will I get more like these?!??

27 eggs (out of 42) made it to lockdown. I'll be thrilled if I get 20 to hatch.

No signs of anything on my eggs, so far. I moved them to a "hatcher" incubator yesterday morning, which is now struggling to maintain full temps. It dropped almost a full degree last night! We had a cool night here in Phoenix and it was near freezing, so our house got a little chilly.

(The other 'bator I have is the HOVABATOR GENESIS - which I highly recommend! It self-adjusts the temp so even if the room the eggs are in gets cool or heats up, the incubator automatically keeps the temp on target. LOVE that incubator!)

I'm sure the eggies are fine, but the move may have slowed the hatch a little.

I took new photos of my older babies - some of the siblings of these eggies! I can't wait to hatch more from this breeder pen. The goal of this breeding project was to pull spotted (Mottled) color from the moms, out of the mostly-white Dad, who had great body type but totally wrong color. I got about four teenagers now who are the right color and should show terrific body type, thanks to their handsome Daddy!

Here's the breeder pen, showing Dad and Moms. Moms are "right" color, (spotted) and Dad is beautiful but "wrong" color (white)

Here are the babies at six weeks old!

Chickie on the far left - beautiful spotty baby!!! Most are white with some black marks (Colombian coloration) or Buff Colombian, but that one got COLOR. That baby is PERFECT! Just what I've been trying for.

Some spotty color is going on with these two as well. I can't wait to see how they turn out!

And everyone wants hens - but I hope these spotty babies are BOYS!

Looking for new Daddies to put over my little Aloha hens late this Spring.
big_smile.png

Babies are nice and plump. Dad is from Light Sussex bloodlines, which are huge meaty chickens. Hens were some of my biggest spotty gals. Looking to increase size and heft on my spotty little Alohas! Was breeding in hopes of getting some really nice roosters.

I'm so excited to see what the New Year's batch has in store! Will I get more like these?!??

27 eggs (out of 42) made it to lockdown. I'll be thrilled if I get 20 to hatch.

I am a crazy person for Swedish Flower Hens. They are my all time favorite breed. These guys look a lot like them, but are different too. What do you see as the differences that make them unique? They are drop dead gorgeous BTW! Congratulations on your hatch and your breeding project! Also, what do they look like as chicks and what is their temperament? So many chickens and so little time...

An interesting thing I heard from someone who raises tons of chickens... puts their chicks under a small cardboard box in the brooder at night. Apparently, they stay plenty warm. I haven't tried it because I don't get up super early.
If I have a single baby chick I put a down sleeping bag in a 5 gallon bucket and put the baby in that and keep checking on it until it stays warm but has a bit of air, that works. For when I have more than 1 I put them in a box or bucket and put that in a sleeping bag.

Back
Top Bottom