7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I went ahead and candled tonight too. I am only setting shipped eggs this time and they all were shook up pretty good by usps. Pulled 8 clears and ringers. 2 of the ones with rolling aircells are stil in the running..That was a suprise!

I had the weirdest thing happen. I have a Brinsea Octo 20 Advanced incubator and had a hatch due to come out last Wednesday. The eggs looked fantastic going into lockdown and I was hoping for the best hatch ever. They didn't hatch on time. At 24 days a few started pipping. Four of them managed to get out on their own, but 4 of the others pipped and then stopped. I helped 4 out at 25 and 26 days. So as I'm wondering what happened. It seemed like they were taking a long time to dry. I checked the temperature with 2 different spot check thermometers and neither read more than 97.6,

but the digital gauge was reading 100 degrees. I guess the heating coils must be bad. I think this one is about 16 months old. The moral of this story is to not trust just one thermometer. Wish I had of thought of this earlier. One had wry neck, 1 had curled toes, 1 has umbilical hernia and they are just generally a raggedy bunch. Didn't have any B vitamins, but I had poultry drench. It is amazing how quickly the vitamins cleared up the wry neck. Put boots on the curled toes and neosporin on the hernia. Time will tell if any of them survives this temperature disaster.
My Brinsea started running a little low a couple of years ago. It was already out of warranty, but I called the company. You can reset to factory specs by unplugging the unit, then hold down all three buttons (+, -, OK) while you plug it back in. Continue to hold the buttons down until the display shows "Resetting to Factory" (or something like that). I do this every few hatches just to make sure. I'm glad you got some to hatch.
hugs.gif
Were any of them Isbars?
Quote:
You're totally killing me too! Omg...so gorgeous!
bow.gif

Someone in my neck of the woods (ok...more like 4 hours away) has Isbars and I think they may be a good fit for here. How do you like them? Our flock is a varied assortment of everything from Old English game birds, Silkies to some fairly large EE's and everything in-between.
Isbars are wonderful chickens! They are very friendly, though not cuddly, and I find them the easiest of the breeds I have owned to integrate new members into existing flocks. They are quite productive for a rare breed. Even though they are relatively small and feed efficient, they large lots of large to extra-large green eggs. They held up very well here during the last 2 winters which have had some very nasty cold spells, although you can see my cock lost the points of his comb last year. The boys do have large combs. If you want the ones with dark eyes, look for someone who has 1st import stock.
wink.png

I am out my quacked air cell eggs are clear....

Thank you anyways though
frow.gif

Good luck hatching to all
fl.gif
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry!

Quote: Congratulations!
celebrate.gif

Hello again! This is my very first hatch. I am useless at candling. I can see something in the eggs, but not many veins. I am hatching silkie eggs. I checked one of my Christmas day eggs....i still can't see actual veins, but i could see the chick moving around!!!!! I guess I need a stronger flashlight, or better glasses to see the veins. Can i just skip candeling and hope for the best?
Candle on the days in the chart to check the air cells. If you set them last Friday it is a bit soon to see too much.
LL
You should be able to tell clears on day 14. I often candle on day 10 and pull clears.
That is once the first day, seven times the second day.... Right?!

Am I allowed to add eggs into my incubator? I found a few deals that I'd like to incubate but am wondering if I need to wait until new years

Last edited:
I candled (yeah, a big surprise. I know!) and one I saw veining and movement. The second I finally saw veins and the third I made out movement.
Those duck eggs... I want to set them so I can have ducklings sooner, but I MUST wait a few more days to get more. I just hope that the fertile one wasn't the only fertile! Doesn't make sense, but neither does the lack of fertility in the ten I had set.

That is once the first day, seven times the second day.... Right?!
Exactly!
highfive.gif

Am I allowed to add eggs into my incubator? I found a few deals that I'd like to incubate but am wondering if I need to wait until new years
Oh, you can always add eggs, but I don't think they count for the NYD Hatch. I am sure there will be some here who will be hatching along with you after NYD.
tongue.png

I candled (again) today. One of my Svarthöna eggs was clear, but the rest were well veined. I think most of my project eggs are fertile, but it is very hard to tell for sure in the green eggs, so I will have to give them a couple more days.

In other news, the poor doe who walked into the middle of the road tonight was no match for my F-350.
sad.png

Last edited:
You can add them but they will not count for the contests.

Can I still join? I set the eggs on the 11th like everyone else.
Yes! I will add you now.

Send a pm with your set count.

I candled (yeah, a big surprise. I know!) and one I saw veining and movement. The second I finally saw veins and the third I made out movement.
Those duck eggs... I want to set them so I can have ducklings sooner, but I MUST wait a few more days to get more. I just hope that the fertile one wasn't the only fertile! Doesn't make sense, but neither does the lack of fertility in the ten I had set.

Good news!

Once they go fertile the stay that way for a while. You should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom