8-9 week old Delaware Gender Help!

Mikski

Chirping
Apr 5, 2024
I’ve posted about this Delaware before, and opinions are pretty split. Anyone good at sexing them and have any idea if this is a cockerel or pullet? It’s somewhere between 8-9 weeks old.
IMG_8110.jpeg
IMG_8118.jpeg

The comb/wattles are pretty well developed for that age, but not to the point where I'd say it's for sure a male. I think this one will simply take more time than most to tell.
Thanks. That’s kinda what I was figuring. It’s not an obvious cockerel, but not obviously a pullet either. I’m holding out hope because it doesn’t really have any smut between the wings and the tail feathers don’t look barred to me.

When do you think I would know for sure?

Thanks. That’s kinda what I was figuring. It’s not an obvious cockerel, but not obviously a pullet either. I’m holding out hope because it doesn’t really have any smut between the wings and the tail feathers don’t look barred to me.

When do you think I would know for sure?
12 weeks is when the males usually start showing male specific feathers. Those are the long, slim, pointed feathers males get in the hackle and especially the saddle area.

But in the meantime just keep an eye on the comb and wattles for increased size and redness. If things stay pretty much the same for a few weeks, then it's probably a pullet. If things change rapidly, then likely a cockerel.

But in the meantime just keep an eye on the comb and wattles for increased size and redness. If things stay pretty much the same for a few weeks, then it's probably a pullet. If things change rapidly, then likely a cockerel.
IMG_8340.jpeg
It’s been a little over a week since my initial post and I don’t see significantly more comb/wattle development, right?

Last edited:
I'm going to vote pullet, but I'd still wait a little longer for 100% confirmation
I’m leaning pullet now too. There hasn’t been significant growth in the wattles and comb for a couple weeks. My red sex link pullet that’s a week younger has bigger comb and wattles at this point.

Back
Top Bottom