8 chickens ganging up on one chicken. Need some advice please.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bertio, Jun 2, 2010.

1. bertio

bertio Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    I have 10 chickens in my flock. To make it short: there are 4 brown chickens, 2 white, 1 black. All full grown 2 year old girls.
    I also have 2 Banty Leghorns and a Bantie Partridge chicken.
    Until about a month ago they all lived very happily together without any problems. With the exception that they chased the poor Banty Partridge away from the food and treats. Sure is a good runner. However, This has recently changed. The Banty Partridge is asserting herself more and they all seem to tolerate her a bit better.

Here's my problem. One of the little white Leghorn Banties has become the runner. It seems that when a few of the brown ones see her across the yard, they make a B line for the poor thing and chase her all over the place. She has a partly bald head from being pecked and I'm feeling really sorry for her. She stays all alone in a the corner of the yard. Should I isolate her in a private coop with the other Banties for a while? She also won't go into the coop at night.

I really don't know how to get her back as part of the flock? Anyone have a good solution?

Thanks

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    If it is one or two particular chickens chasing the banty then separate them for a few days. Then they will be knocked down a bit in the pecking order an maybe that will give the banty a chance. Otherwise if all of them are picking on the poor thing then I would separate her before she gets hurt.

3. bertio

bertio Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Thanks. I just did that. I put her and her sister in an old rabbit hutch with food and water. It seems that there is one really agressive hen that want her banished, or dead. Dang! I didn't realze that they could be so cruel. I'll take your advice and take the meanest brown and stuff her in the (solitary confinement) hutch during the day for a week or so. That might fix her.
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by