8 days old Today

realsis

Crazy for Silkies
11 Years
Jan 17, 2013
California
My little flock of 10 turned 8 days old. I have 7 Barred Rocks, 1 Silver Laced wyannadotte, 1 Silver Penciled Rock, and 1 Golden Buff. Six of my chick's 5 barred rocks and 1 wyannadotte will fly into my lap and cuddle with me. They sleep in my lap and perch on my arms, fingers, and Chest. My Golden Buff is very shy as is my Silver penciled Rock and two barred Rocks they don't like being held although they come to the front when I call them. Never in my life have I had such friendly babies! I definitely think the six are imprinted on me. But not the other 4. I wonder why that is? Here six chicks fly to my lap when I open the cage door (dog cage brooder) but I wonder why the other 4 are so shy? They are the same breed except for the Golden buff, and the penciled is still a Rock. Why are 6 so extremely trusting and friendly and the others are not? What do you think?

It could be breed related, but in my experience, it seems that its the little fellas that are friendly at a young age, and the pullets more reserved.

CT

My barred rocks were friendly as babies, kinda snotty as teenagers and are cuddly as full grown hens. Of the barnyard mix that I hatched last year none of the girls were friendly and my favorite,Rocket, was the friendliest. No roosters for me so my little buddies had to go. I.m.o. they each have their own personalities and some are just shyer than others. Enjoy your cuddlers, they sound like sweeties!

My barred rocks were friendly as babies, kinda snotty as teenagers and are cuddly as full grown hens. Of the barnyard mix that I hatched last year none of the girls were friendly and my favorite,Rocket, was the friendliest.  No roosters for me so my little buddies had to go.  I.m.o. they each have their own personalities and some are just shyer than others. Enjoy your cuddlers, they sound like sweeties!

Oouu811

Thanks they really are Amazing!! I'm so in love! They are ALL supposed to be sexed females. I sure hope no roo's snuck in!

Last edited:
Well, kids from the same parents can have radically different personalities from birth despite having access to the same gene pool, so it makes sense for a batch of chicks to exhibit the same. I found with my chicks that their friendliness increased with age, probably as their confidence in themselves (and in me) grew. One of my light brahmas (6 weeks old) who previously would have nothing to do with me, just climbed into my lap yesterday out of the blue! Apparently she finally made up her mind that I was the food-giver and not a scary predator :)

That's cute :). I think your right, I never thought of it that way. I'm really amazed because I've never ever had such friendly babies. I feel so blessed!this is my first time with the Barred Rock breed. They sure are sweet and smart too! They are SUPER loving. I read they were very affectionate but I never imagined they would be jumping in my lap so young! It's so much fun!! They have stolen my heart♡♡

Last edited:
My chicks are about the same age and very friendly too!
Could you post a pic of your Wyandotte? I think I have one, but not sure. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom