8 month cockerel lost an eye in a fight?

plum14

Songster
Oct 3, 2018
Leeds UK
I have two wyandotte bantam cockerels who have existed quite happily together until yesterday. Early this morning they have fought in earnest and my beautiful gold laced has been left in a bad way. Please can someone look at the photos and tell me what is the best I can do to help him. He is very sleepy and just stays in one spot. We have him inside in a box to keep warm. If he hears a noise he lifts his head but apart from that he just stands there.
IMG-20191116-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20191116-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20191116-WA0004.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20191116-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20191116-WA0003.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20191116-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20191116-WA0005.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 5
He make be in shock, and I would just offer some water with electrolytes often. Place food and water near him secured to the cage, so he can drink when he needs it. Cockerels and roosters will fight and challenge each other for dominance. Is the left eye swollen where you cannot see the eye inside the socket, or does it look like the eye is gone? Get a $4 saline eye wash at Walmart or drugstore along with some plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Clean and wash his eye, and apply an 1/8 inch strip of the ointment into his eye twice a day for at least the next week. My polish hen was pecked in the eye, and it took 3-4 days for swelling to go down to find out if her eye was still intact. If the eye is gone, he may be able to get around in a familiar area, and he might be less likely to fight. But you will need to see how it goes, and be prepared to keep them in separate pens.

I have two wyandotte bantam cockerels who have existed quite happily together until yesterday. Early this morning they have fought in earnest and my beautiful gold laced has been left in a bad way. Please can someone look at the photos and tell me what is the best I can do to help him. He is very sleepy and just stays in one spot. We have him inside in a box to keep warm. If he hears a noise he lifts his head but apart from that he just stands there.View attachment 1960025 View attachment 1960024 View attachment 1960022

have put him to sleep!! He didn't look good!!

Back
Top Bottom