8 month cockerel lost an eye in a fight?

Yeah that’s what I said from the beginning but that’s not gonna happen. A simple wipe down to prevent the eyes from sticking in the first place would have helped. I’m not sure why you’re quoting me I’m plenty capable. I do appreciate your tips though. :thumbsup
I wasn't calling you out and I know you are quite capable. Sometimes it's just easier to hit the reply button than to scroll to the bottom comment field. Sorry if you took offense. :oops:

I wasn't calling you out and I know you are quite capable. Sometimes it's just easier to hit the reply button than to scroll to the bottom comment field. Sorry if you took offense. :oops:
No worries. I agree less is more with chickens. Everyone wants to poke and prod to feel like they’re doing all they can to help. Roosters don’t need scrambled eggs, pancakes and bacon fed to them to recuperate. Simple vitamins, dextrose or sugar water and regular feed is fine. The quicker they’re back with the rest the better. Playing doctor seems to be the new fad though lately.

No worries. I agree less is more with chickens. Everyone wants to poke and prod to feel like they’re doing all they can to help. Roosters don’t need scrambled eggs, pancakes and bacon fed to them to recuperate. Simple vitamins, dextrose or sugar water and regular feed is fine. The quicker they’re back with the rest the better. Playing doctor seems to be the new fad though lately.

Sorry I'm just genuinely wanting the best for this guy. He's such a sweet creature. I'll put him back with the flock tomorrow when I can watch him to check he's getting on ok.

Personally, I would put him in a dog crate/carrier within the chicken pen, that way they cant peck at his injuries but they don't forget him, so he doesn't have to go back thru integrations.
You've done a wonderful job of pulling him through so far, now you just gotta let go, and let him do the rest. :hugs

Just to update on this - look at him now!!

Hopefully soon to be a father of many!!
20200318_102311.jpg

Back
Top Bottom