8 month old Pullet with Sore bottom (butt), no feathers...PICTURES!

Chickie Niki

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 21, 2009
Portland Oregon
This is my first post. Our favorite hen (largest, most docile) has no feathers from her vent all the way past her legs, starting toward her belly. Some bleeding, crusty areas. (Pecking from other hens?) None of my hens have started molting yet. Is this the first sign of molting? No other feathers have come out yet. Hard to tell if she's still laying. Does not have a prolapsed vent. She is still eating and running around the yard. I just put some Aquaphor on it.

It has been below freezing for the past few nights/days. Is her butt in danger of frostbite?

Pictures posted below.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
37282_ventress_sore_bottom3.jpg

37282_ventress_sore_bottom2.jpg

37282_ventress_sore_bottom1.jpg

Yeah, I figured out how to submit pics!

Looks like feather picking. My Buff Orpingtons have been doing that lately too! Bad girls!
A product like Wound-Kote, Blue-Kote or similar will help. The purple dye will hide the redness, stop the pecking, and give the feathers a chance to grow back.
As for frostbite, I'm not sure... I think it happens more on extremities (combs, toes). She probably has enough fluff left to keep her butt warm!

Oh-
welcome-byc.gif

Watch for lice and mites... that could be the culprit.. that will lead to feather picking

She is still no better. I need to get to the store to get some Blu-cote! The bald spot is on her bottom, so she can't be pecking at herself? Will other chickens peck at her if she has lice or mites? Would I be able to see them with the naked eye? I picked her up and looked again today. The area is still red, but not as scabby as before. Don't think the feathers are coming back in yet. I have some diatomaceous earth (DE)... should I feed it to her and dust her with it?

I also added protein to their food today in the form of cottage cheese and ground beef. I heard lack of dietary protein may be a cause too?

Thanks for your help!

I have also had my 6 month olds start to peck each other. It seems to be a pecking order issue, as the two most assertive girls look just fine. I went to the pet store yesterday and bought a product called 8 in 1 CEASE anti- feather picking spray. It is for indoor, caged birds. I'm going to give it a try. I have also supplemented my girls diet with extra protein....they love it, but they are still picking! Will post how this spray works.....

Well, my girls bum looks as bad as ever. Her feathers started to grow back in once or twice, then the other chickens picked them out again. Now I noticed another girl has lost feathers in the same spot. I am going to focus on protein for now and maybe try to get a flock block and some stop-pick. I don't think the pecking happens during the day.... I think it happens at night when they are jostling for position on the favorite roosting bar. I don't have any way to separate the picked-on girls (I live in the middle of the city on a fairly small piece of property.) Would it be worth my while to cull the offending hen? I would only do that as a last resort.

Did you do the treatment for lice/mites? That is usually the culprit of this type behaviour.... Yes other hens will pick her but she will also pick herself... trying to rid herself of the nasty little critters... DE is fairly effective.. If it is a bad round you might go with Seven dust.... or poultry dust.

Back
Top Bottom