8 month old wyndotte, could she be broody?

Lyssa

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
I have an 8 month old wyndotte, who has been spending a lot of time on the nest. She will come out some during the day, i saw her taking a dust bath and scratching about, but then she goes back in the coop and sits on an empty nest. I bring her back out, she will eat a treat, the fluff up, shake, and run back to the nest.

I did check her all over, no lice, no mites that I could see. Her poop looks normal. Eyes are clear. She seems to be eating... Any ideas?

Last edited:
It isn't unheard of. I don't know about Wyandottes, but my 9 month old cuckoo Marans sat 4 eggs, hatched and raised one baby. She wouldn't quit, just got fluffier and crankier until I let her keep a few eggs.

My eight month old wyandotte just went broody and hatched out four chicks! So yes, they can go broody and yes they can do it that young.

51848_p1010773.jpg

I read up on Wyandottes, they go broody (frequently) is what I have read on this site under the chicken breed chart. I actually got her because I figured that she would get broody and she could be my momma girl. I just wasn't expecting 2 months of eggs and then mamma girl... So, long and short, I am sure Little Bug is broody. She will let me take her off the nest and will eat, then she makes a big show of preening, fluffing, then flapping and does an about turn and runs, and I mean jumping rocks like she's late for the plane sort of running, all the way back to the nest... It's actually really funny. But, I only have two chickens, and my other girl, Big Molly, looks like she lost her BFF. So, here are my questions:
1. How long does she have to be broody to try to slip a chick under her?
2. I could get some fertilized eggs, but the breed I want to have, I don't have a local source for... and my husband doesn't understand why I just wouldn't slip a chick under her. So, why would I slip an egg under her instead? I need a logical argument for this one because he thinks he's right.
big_smile.png

3. I have 1 nesting box for the two girls, will my other girl be able to lay, or will she stop laying in support of Little Bug? And, yes we are getting ready to build our bigger coop, this has just sped up the schedule.

Last edited:
I own a chronic broody- a 4 y.o. GLW. She has spent more of her life in the nesting boxes than out of them. She went broody for the first time at 8 months old, and basically hasn't quit except to molt for the next 3+ years.

Back
Top Bottom