8 months - no eggs!

Too much protein can be not so great.
What was the percentage of protein they were getting?

How were you housing these 30 'slacker' hens?
Crowding can cause stress that can suppress laying.

What is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers/suggestions.

I don't know the percentage of protein off hand. The coop was crowded but not terribly, plus they had a large run as well as being able to free range part of the day. The fact that all the chickens stopped laying is what has us stumped. I understand the older ones but the young ones never started. Now there are only 4 hens and they still aren't laying. I've cleaned the coop, winterized it (we're in East TN), supplement their feed, give them herbs, etc.

Last edited:
I don't know the percentage of protein off hand. The coop was crowded but not terribly, plus they had a large run as well as being able to free range part of the day. The fact that all the chickens stopped laying is what has us stumped. I understand the older ones but the young ones never started. Now there are only 4 hens and they still aren't laying. I've cleaned the coop, winterized it (were in East TN), supplement their feed, give them herbs, etc.
Time to go back to the basics.
Nothing but a good chicken ration (read the nutrition label sewn into the bottom of the bag) and plain clean water for a few weeks.

Tho the 'hard' 'rules of thumb' are not necessarily 'written in stone' accurate and/or effective.....
.....it's good to know the exact numbers of bird population and ages, housing size, and nutrition percentages.

Vague descriptions will only garner vague and speculative solutions.

Back
Top Bottom