8 out of 9 ducklings pipped and peeping!

quetsweyo

Chirping
8 Years
May 9, 2011
undefined:D boo-ya!!! After Miss Gabby walked out on her eggs I put them in my incubator on 6-7. Tonite I have 8 pipped-peepers + one dead in the shell, it was about half developed and only died in last day or so( down feathers were just starting to slip ). One little guy has a deformed or underdeveloped upper bill. Looks like the bill on a spoonbill bird. Hope thats all thats wrong with it. Is there anything cuter than a little bill poking up out of an egg? Up All Night, quetsweyo

Thank you! Wouldnt it be great, for some of us, if we could email pix to BYC? I will have to wait til i can get to the library im afraid. Quetsweyo

71119_duck_2.jpg

71119_duck.jpg

71119_duck3.jpg

undefined:D my thanks to ninabl for posting the pics for me. The 2nd pic is the lil guy with the malformed bill. The middle of the bill's edges didnt fill in, and theres a notch at the rear. Its very lively, i hope thats all thats wrong. Q

he will be alright. are these your first ducks? how much water do they require? do you feed them chicken feed? ben thinking about gettin some but dont know much about them. guess i should do some research first.

No, my first ducks were 4 mallard eggs i found in a nest in the mulch around trees in Galyans parking lot. The employees said they hadnt seen the ducks in days. I got a cheap incubator and read some stuff and went for it. Never hatched eggs before. 3 of 4 hatched. Then I ordered 11 eggs from Metzer, 9 hatched. I feed them unmedicated poultry mash-DuMor and MannaPro from TSC and a mash, whole wheat, and cracked corn from Wanamaker Feed. Ducks cant have the medicated food, it'll kill them. They also like collard greens and kale, lambs quarters and dandelion greens, lettuce, worms, snails, slugs, pillbugs, centipedes, most bugs I guess. Sometimes I get them crickets at the bait store, thats a free-for-all. Ducks can get by with a litter box size tub of water to bathe and play in but the more the merrier. Mine have a 260gal stock tank, 8 ft round and 2 ft tall, and several tubs around the yard. Ducks are very messy! Read a lot before you jump in, habit forming! Q

undefined:D
lol.png
tongue.png
as of 530pm June 13 Ive got 6 lively, beautiful ducklings, 1 is still working on the yolk and umbilicus and one died during hatching. Still have eggs incubating, they are younger. I am pooped, up and down all night. Pics to come. Naptime for Grammaw.

Back
Top Bottom